Ivanhoe (1952)
Some Came Running (1958)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Davy_Lee » 03 Aug 2015 12:06

Deadly Prey (YouTube) – 4/10
Take out the booby trapping jungle survival scenes from RAMBO and mix them into the plot of THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, you get DEADLY PREY - an ex-elite marine "who was the best in Vietnam" named Mike Danton (Ted Prior) bare-chested, scantily clad in cut-off shorts running amok in the woods. And you get to admire his blonde mullet too. :lol:

"Watch it at your own risk!"

True Vengeance (First viewing; YouTube) – 7/10
A single father, an ex-member of an elite naval commando sniper squad, must rescue his daughter kidnapped by his father-in-law Yakuza boss.

The film brings nothing new to this much-recycled action genre, which has a bit of COMMANDO in the plot. But overall it’s a pretty good B-movie actioner largely due to the slightly-above-average direction and the well-choreographed fight scenes: a bit of Van Dammesque flying kicks replete with Van Dammesque facial expressions, a lot of John Woo’s slow motion shooting styles (the director and fight choreographer really aped almost all of Woo’s trademarks into one long shootout scene inside a stripclub!), and even a sword fighting finale (even though this one’s not that good).

I’ve never seen any of Daniel Bernhardt’s movies before. What strikes me the most is his resemblance to Van Damme! It’s a pity that his career didn’t go all the way to the top like Van Damme’s did.

Daniel Bernhardt (Bloodsport 2) and Miles O’Keefe star. David Worth (Warrior of the Lost World, Kickboxer) directs. Available on UK DVD.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 12 Jun 2018 05:10, edited 3 times in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 03 Aug 2015 21:30

Deliver Us from Evil (2014)
Evil Under the Sun (1982)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 09 Aug 2015 02:06

The First Power (First viewing; YouTube) – 7/10
After his spirit is released and given power by the Devil, a demonic serial killer (Jeff Kober; Out of Bounds, Viper (1988), One Tough Bastard) comes back to life to wreak vengeance on the cop who arrested him. Now the cop (Lou Diamond Phillips), with the help of a psychic, must confront the terrifying dark force that seems to have become unstoppable.

I was surprised to find that this obscure action thriller of the 90’s got me hooked to the end. One thing that stands out while you are watching it is the eerie score by Stewart Copeland (The Police), which creates a creepy atmosphere.

Cherry 2000 (f.o.c.) – 7.5/10
In the future post apocalyptic earth, man could have a perfect relationship with the woman of his dreams. This happens through the creation of android wives, which can be had at the right price. For that sole reason, Sam Treadwell, a successful businessman travels to a desert region in search of an exact replacement for his defunct android wife. With the aid of a renegade tracker named Edith, he must venture out into a hostile and lawless region called “The Zone”. What Treadwell isn't expecting to learn there is something that will change his beliefs about the ideal woman – not one that is made of computer chips…

Melanie Griffith, David Andrews, Pamela Gidley, and Tim Thomerson star.

This is my second viewing after watching it on video decades ago. I didn’t enjoy it then but I have a more positive opinion about it now. I noticed that the plot has some sort of philosophical undertones about man and woman relationships and how society perceives them. If you like watching unique futuristic action adventure and don’t mind seeing and collecting anything “so 80’s”, this is worth adding into your collection.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 12 Jun 2018 05:11, edited 4 times in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 09 Aug 2015 19:01

Dou fo sin / Flash Point (2007)
War Pigs (2015)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 11 Aug 2015 19:48

The Island (2005)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Aug 2015 21:02

Conspiracy Theory (1997)
Jack Reacher (2012)
The Forger (2014)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 17 Aug 2015 02:18

Working Girl (f.o.c.) – 8/10
Tess McGill (Melanie Griffith) is an ambitious and smart secretary, struggling to forge ahead in the world of big financial business in New York. When her creative idea about a business deal is stolen by her boss (Sigourney Weaver), she decides to seize it back without her boss’s knowledge. Along the way she wins the love of an executive broker Jack Trainer (Harrison Ford), who later joins forces with her to execute her plan, negotiate and secure the deal that involves a proposed merger of a major media company with some local radio stations.

Back in my video days, I rarely watched drama, but this was an exception because it starred Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver, and Melanie Griffith, two of whom happened to have played in the movies I liked (You should know the films!).

This is one of the very few comedy drama I watched and liked. Well-directed and acted, and nice gospel-like theme song,

Mike Nichols (The Graduate) directs.

Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 17 Aug 2015 22:23

Another Stakeout (1993)
Zulu (2013)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 20 Aug 2015 09:14

Predestination (2014)
Gåten Ragnarok / Ragnarok (2013)
A Case of You (2013)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 24 Aug 2015 18:20

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009)
The Guard (2011)
A Knight's Tale - Extended Cut (2001)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 28 Aug 2015 23:39

Snowpiercer (2013)
John Wick (2014)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 29 Aug 2015 02:31

144 - Scream 3 (German Blu)
Probably the worst of the series… I liked the opening scene, but that's about it. Scenario is really "too much" and the movie isn't really scary - 4/10.

145 - The Ballad of Narayama (UK Blu)
Great mix of comedy and tragedy by Shohei Imamura. This movie shows the ruthless everyday life in a small japanese village, in which old people have to climb Narayama mountain before they die. Just beautiful and moving - 8/10.

146 - Scream 4 (German Blu)
Really better than the previous episode. Great opening sequence and unexpected twists - 6/10.

147 - Black Souls (Broadcast)
Very dark italian movie dealing with the decline of a family involved in drug trafficking - 6/10.

148 - Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Theater)
Breathless rythm and several memorable scenes for this new episode of the MI series - 7/10.

149 - Annabelle (Broadcast)
Nothing extraordinary, but a quite frightening and well-made movie, avoiding most of the traps for this genre - 6/10.

150 - Playtime (US Blu)
This second viewing made me realize how much this is an extraordinay movie, maybe even better than "Mon Oncle". Tati has many ideas in every scene and I guess this movie can be watched many times before you notice everything. First, Tati shows how cold life has become in big cities, but in the end he manages to see the beauty behind. Just unforgettable - 10/10.

151 - Hercules (Broadcast)
Rather entertaining, a pretty good surprise! 6/10

152 - Plastic (Broadcast)
This british movie is another very good surprise, somewhere between Tarantino and Guy Ritchie - 7/10

153 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Broadcast)
Another successful episode of this "reboot" series. Good story and special effects - 7/10.

154 - Braquo #3 (French Blu)
Re-watching of this third season, which is also probably the best! This show has much to do with 'The Shield', but this story of russian mob and of personal revenges could be even better - 9/10.

155 - Cours du Soir (Short - US Blu)
Short in which Tati gives hilarious "evening lessons" - 6/10.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Alister_Manson » 29 Aug 2015 08:51

I've been working my way through the 10 hours of extras from The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition set. As usual, it's one of the best behind the scenes documentaries ever assembled.
Alister_Manson

Postby Davy_Lee » 30 Aug 2015 03:07

F/X (YouTube) – 7.5/10
A movies special effects man Rollie Tyler (Bryan Brown) is secretly hired by two agents of the U.S. Justice Department to help stage a fake murder of an infamous mob, who is being placed in the Witness Protection Program, and has been marked for death by his enemies. When the two agents double cross him, Tyler, with the help of a crusty detective, must use his special effects skills to trap the gangster and the corrupt agents and clear his name.

Brian Dennehy (First Blood, Best Seller), Diane Venora (The Substitute), and Cliff DeYoung co-star. Robert Mandel (The Substitute) directs.

Watched this on video (decades ago!) and couldn’t recall anything about it. Now that I’ve revisited it, I’d say that it’s a fast-paced, engrossing little action thriller with a tinge of comedy. Worth a watch.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 30 Aug 2015 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 30 Aug 2015 20:27

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
Hot Pursuit (2015)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 31 Aug 2015 20:47

Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! (2015)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 31 Aug 2015 21:58

508. Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (2013)
509. Gambit (2012)

Also all six episodes of the nineties BBC comedy Get Well Soon.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Frank_Vincent » 31 Aug 2015 23:07

Wes Craven's New Nightmare.
Frank_Vincent
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion