My Tutor
Oxford Blues
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 01 Jun 2014 22:40

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Theater)
Good story and interesting crossover between both generations of X-Men. Maybe not the best Marvel film (Avengers ?), but a really good one - 8/10.

Derailed (TV)
Decent thriller but with expected twists - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 01 Jun 2014 22:59

Last couple of days:

Born to Race (2011) - Better than the sequel (which I watched last week), but still rather mediocre overall, this is the story of a teen sent to his Dad's to start behaving but goes on to race in the NHRA school championships. Has quite a lot in common with the third Fast & Furious movie at times. 5/10

Smokey & the Bandit 2 (1980) - Nowhere near as fun as the first, but still several funny moments, and an enjoyable mass lorry versus police car scene which made the watch worthwhile. Reynolds and Field have a great chemistry, but not the supporting story arch to take advantage of it. 5/10

Hit & Run (2012) - More fun than a Dax Shepard film has any right to be, the cast look as though they really enjoyed making this one. Tom Arnold nails it, and there are some great driving scenes. Solid popcorn movie for a Saturday evening. 6/10

Slap Shot (1977) - Not as good as I was expecting but still an enjoyable ride as a failing hockey team changes its fortune by becoming a team of goons. Newman carries the cast almost single handedly, but it is funny at times, and even rather endearing. I wouldn't call it top 10 sports film material, but it is certainly above average. 7/10

Re-Animator (1985) - Such a great horror film that still holds up today. Real special effects, an audacious storyline, and a delectable dark humour that makes this a real treat of the eighties. Excellent. 9/10

Re-Animator Resurrectus (2007) - This documentary covers the majority of aspects of Re-Animator, from the pre-production stages, right through to its impact on cinema. Most of the main cast members are interviewed, as are many of the crew members, with Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna giving us the more in-depth details. This is essential viewing for anybody who is a fan of the film, or is an inspiring film maker. 8/10

Meet the Deedles (1998) - Watched this due to Paul Walker being in it, but my god, it makes me wonder how he managed to get anyone to hire him after this poor attempt at a 'surfer dude' comedy. Robert Englund and Dennis Hopper are in it, but even they can't save the day here. Nowhere near one of the worst films I've seen, but certainly very much below average. 3/10

Demoted (2011) - Okay, so the acting is a little dodgy, and the plot is nothing fresh, but there is a bit of charm to this comedy about two salesmen demoted to secretaries, thanks mainly to Michael Vartan and Sean Astin. 5/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 02 Jun 2014 00:16

Mud
Dom Hemingway
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 02 Jun 2014 22:21

Today:

Sullivan's Travels (1941) - Preston Sturges is such a great writer, it has to be seen to be believed. In this instance, he also directed Joel McCrea and the absolutely stunning Veronica Lake in a hilarious ride about a director who decides to live like a tramp so he can be as realistic as possible for a serious film he wants to make. If only he knew how true this rang today, when all the comedy celebs want to make their name in serious movies. Arrow Film's blu-ray is absolutely stunning. Role on the Sturges boxset if sales are strong enough! 9/10

Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer (1990) - This is a great look into Sturges' life, from his beginnings as a writer, to opening the door to other writers who aspired to be 'more', right through to his feud with Paramount, resulting in Sturges joiningg Howard Hughes as part of the California Pictures Corporation. His first film as a studio executive even managed to pull Harold Lloyd from his fifteen year retirement. Plenty of interviews, plenty of footage, plenty to digest. 8/10

Safeguarding Military Information (1941) (short) - Okay, this short isn't great, and is purely a propaganda piece directed by Preston Sturges to help ensure people are more careful with information that could be used against the Allied forced during WWII. Worth a watch, and an interesting historical piece, but won't get repeat viewings from me. 6/10

Street Thief (2006) - I enjoyed the attempt at a documentary perspective, and at times, it was an interesting character study, but they just couldn't quite pull it off into a 90 minute movie. 5/10

The World's End (2013) - On repeat viewing, I still don't think this is anywhere near as good as Hot Fuzz or Shaun of the Dead, but still plenty of laughs to be had, and a really good twist on an alien invasion. Pierce Brosnan owns his role. 8/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 02 Jun 2014 22:54

Une Nuit (Paris By Night)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 03 Jun 2014 18:01

Vincent_Bouche wrote:The Attack (TV) Great movie about a famous arab surgeon working in Israel and discovering his wife is involved in an attack - 7/10.
OMAR ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2852406 ) is a good companion film to this (if I remember correctly, I gave it 7/10). Agree with both reviewers at http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s4006197.htm ; episode16 download for anyone interested but geoblocked at http://www.abc.net.au/tv/geo/atthemovies ; and ok director interview at http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s4006199.htm .
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Samuel_Scott » 03 Jun 2014 23:10

Run for Your Wife (2012) - Even by Danny Dyer's standards this is pretty awful. Poor writing, horrendously overacted, and not a single funny moment. Sarah Harding is an even worse actress than she is a singer, and this is not what I expect from Denise van Outen who has been garnering critical acclaim on stage. Not worth your time. Let's just hope they don't run with a sequel after that ending! 2/10

ACOD: Adult Children of Divorce (2013) - Far from being laugh-out-loud, but still an enjoyable comedy about adult children of divorce. A good supporting cast that I wish had been utilised better (Jane Lynch, Amy Poehler, Jessica Alba), and Adam Scott carries the film as the lead well. Clark Duke is still going to be a big comedy star eventually - I really do think he'll get out of the big support roles soon enough. 6/10

Rapture-Palooza (2013) - An extremely likeable cast, and a promising premise, let down by not enough funny jokes - far too many just go by the wayside. 5/10

Film 350 of 2014
Gone Fishin' (1997) - We can file this one squarely under "comedies for your Grandad". 5/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Davy_Lee » 04 Jun 2014 00:50

MALONE (First viewing, German dvd) - 7/10

I watched it once on video but didn't like it. As an action thriller, I thought it was talky and slow-paced. Last year, Mark brought the German Ascot Elite release to my attention. I told him I wasn't interested in revisiting the film much less buying the dvd. But last month, after re-watching it on YouTube, I decided to get myself a copy.

The movie plays like a modern day Shane, at least some parts of it, and at certain points a made-for-tv film.
Burt Reynolds is the title character Malone: a tight-lipped, no-nonsense, hit-'em-hard CIA operative who wants out of the agency but finds himself drawn into another dangerous situation in a small valley where he is forced to hide out.

I have never liked Burt Reynolds as I was first introduced to his films like Smokey and the Bandit and the Cannonball Run, which made me think that he was a comedy actor. But Malone is a very rare exception. Funny to see him keep a straight face here. Don't miss seeing his toupee :lol:
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 05 Jun 2014 01:18, edited 2 times in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 04 Jun 2014 21:25

Delivery Man
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 04 Jun 2014 21:53

Daltry Calhoun (2005) - I feel this one is a little underrated. It may feel a little empty and strung together, but for the most part I felt it was well acted, poignant, and had a great soundtrack that fitted the tone of the film perfectly. Not great, but certainly enjoyable. 6/10

National Lampoon's Cattle Call (2006) - Another of these "pretend we're casting for a movie to meet girls" comedies, which are almost intolerable. Whilst this is not the worst National Lampoon film (TV: The Movie takes that dubious honour), it's disappointing to see what National Lampoon movies have become in the 21st century. 2/10

Willow Creek (2013) - An above average found footage movie, with an excellent long scene featuring the two main characters in a tent which changes the tone quickly in great fashion. It's far from my favourite Goldthwait film (Sleeping Dogs Lie is a classic), but it does show he can do more than dark biting comedies. 6/10

Beverly Hills Ninja (1997) - It's been a long time since I've seen this one, but it's not a bad comedy if you're into the more slapstick side of things. Farley and Rock play off each other really well, and it doesn't try and pretend it's more than the cheap shot comedy aimed at the masses that it is. It's crap. It knows it. It's fun. It knows it. 6/10

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (2010) - As much respect as I have for the two guys who lost a load of weight in this, and as inspiring as it is, it did feel a little gimmicky at times, and as though they were trying to sell something other than a healthy lifestyle. Still, it has obviously saved one guys life who dropped from over 400lbs to about 225lb, and motivated people judging by other things I have read about the film so fair play. An interesting and intriguing documentary that occasionally strays into being preachy. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Davy_Lee » 05 Jun 2014 05:36

THE CHALLENGE (First viewing, German dvd) - 7/10

Rick Murphy, an amateur American boxer (Scott Glenn) becomes involved in a feud between two Japanese brothers, Yoshida (Toshiro Mifune) and his younger brother Hideo, which concerns the possession of a pair of swords known as The Equals passed down through their family generations. One sword is meant to be kept by each sibling. The feud starts after Yoshida's sword is stolen during World War II. Out of greed and obsession, Hideo claims to have the right to own both.

When the stolen sword is tracked down in present-day California, Murphy is contracted by Yoshida's children Toshio and Akiko, to smuggle it back to Japan. Upon arrival at the airport, Murphy and Toshio are kidnapped by Hideo's men to be taken to their boss. On their way, Toshio is brutally killed but Murphy later manages to escape with the help of Akiko. Murphy who is wounded is taken by Akiko to her father's sword-fighting school, where he eventually learns the truth about the feud.

After being trained the skills of sword-fighting by Yoshida, Murphy decides to join him in his venture to Hideo's industrial complex to rescue Akiko, who has been taken hostage in return for the sword, and settle the feud in a blood fight. These two brothers will stop at nothing to keep possession of the swords - one out of greed and the other for honor!

This is John Frankenheimer's lesser work. For viewers unfamiliar with Japanese culture, the plot may feel absurd: shedding blood for a family heirloom! However, if you like action films about East-meets-West sort of thing, this is worth a look.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 06 Jun 2014 00:49

Tetsuo: The Bullet Man (German Blu)
Last part of the Tetsuo movies by Tsukamoto ; tough to judge, a bit different from the other two movies, with a more developed storyline. I enjoyed it - 7/10

Downhill (Spanish Blu)
First viewing of this silent Hitchcock movie. Not a masterpiece, but rather good - 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 06 Jun 2014 21:56

Filth
Less Than Zero
Real Men
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Jun 2014 22:10

Yesterday:

Craigslist Joe (2012) - Enjoyable documentary which follows Joe Garner, as he attempts to travel around America and survive, based purely on the kindness of Craigslist users. I'm not sure how much joy he would've had in some of the scenarios were it not for the fact he had his cameraman with him and was making sure people knew what he was doing (ie. when he was struggling to find places to stay in New York), but still recommended viewing. 7/10

Supercross (2005) - Poorly acted and cliched to hell, but some decent racing scenes and forgiveable plot. Eleven year old me would've loved this. Thirty year old me didn't. 4/10

The Numbers Station (2013) - This is a by-the-numbers government thriller in which John Cusack is outclassed by an overly-enthusiastic Malin Akerman whose probably happy to play a character where she isn't just a love interest. Worth a watch, but nothing to shout home about. 6/10

Porky's (1981) - Every generation has a defining teen-sex comedy, and Porky's was the one for my parents. I've seen it several times now and still find it hilarious, especially the scene with the female PE teacher requesting a penis line-up. 8/10

Today:

Saving Silverman (2001) - Standard comedy fare with an above average cast that is somewhat under-utilised. Nothing special, but a couple of laughs here and there. 5/10

Stitches (2012) - A surprisingly amusing horror comedy, with some very fun death scenes including a head explosion that could even give Scanners a run for its money! Ross Noble, a stand-up comedian who is not known for his acting, holds his character well, and his comic timing is evident in the dialogue from the start. 6/10

Forgotten Men (1933) - A worthy watch of documented first hand accounts from soldiers in world war one, interspersed with footage from the war. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 07 Jun 2014 09:11

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Porky's (1981) - Every generation has a defining teen-sex comedy, and Porky's was the one for my parents. I've seen it several times now and still find it hilarious, especially the scene with the female PE teacher requesting a penis line-up. 8/10

I was 3 when this one came out. But this one, Hollywood Knights, Bachelor Party and Police Academy are the ones I think I have seen the most growing up. :-D
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Jun 2014 01:19

Down Periscope (1996) - Sort of like Police Academy at sea, but not as funny. The character actors give this the required strength to keep its appeal, and there are a few laughs to be had, even if the writing was quite average. 6/10

Ghost Team One (2013) - Another horror spoof, though this one actually has likeable characters and a couple of genuine laughs. Certainly better than Scary Movie 5 and A Haunted House, and though that isn't saying much, this one is worth watching, even if only once. 5/10

Fargo (1996) - This is my second favourite Coen Brothers movie (after Miller's Crossing) and even on what is at least its 5th viewing (though first since 2008), the dark humour still blows me away. A perfect cast, an excellent script, and one of the best films of the 1990s. 9/10

Death Race 2 (2010) - Just like the first, this is stupid but fun, and there is nothing wrong with that. The prequel story line fitted well, the supporting cast was still strong (Danny Trejo, Ving Rhames, Sean Bean), and Luke Goss is an underrated b-movie actor. A decent popcorn movie. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 08 Jun 2014 17:47

Haywire (TV)
Nothing really new, interesting or especially entertaining in this Soderbergh spying/betrayal movie – 5/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 Jun 2014 19:06

Sven Hassel's Wheels of Terror
Spy Game
Repo Man
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Jun 2014 23:52

Chopper (2000) - The dark comedy and shocking violence mix well together in the true story of Mark Chopper Read, but the real reason this movie works so well, is Eric Bana is mesmerising in making the role his. He's intense as hell, and comes across as a true psychopathic character, with all the unpleasantness you expect from such a scummy criminal. 8/10

Better Luck Tomorrow (2002) - This is quite an intriguing film with strong performances and a strong script, hilariously saved from production monetary woes by some last minute backing from MC Hammer. Justin Lin and Sung Kang is a decent director/actor team-up as proven in the F&F franchise. 7/10

Grabbers (2012) - What. the. hell. That was great fun and completely unexpected. A creature feature where the locals must get as drunk as possible to avoid being killed was a cracking little idea, and setting it in Ireland the icing on the cake. A good cast, and I was surprised to see Russell Tovey here. 7/10

Camp Dread (2014) - Mediocre slasher with a couple of semi-decent parts for Eric Roberts and Danielle Harris. The idea behind it is actually quite enjoyable, but the camp location has been done to death (ba dum tish). Final kill scene though? Quite inventive and funny. Worth a look for hardcore horror fans. 5/10

Coming to America (1988) - Back when Eddie Murphy was actually funny and before he discovered fat suits... The innocence of the main character is what cracks me up here - that, and James Earl Jones nails every line and steals every scene he is in. Hilarious. 8/10

Kid Cannabis (2014) - Based on a true story, it's an interesting tale of a group of kids who smuggled $68m of cannabis into the US from Canada, by running through the woods. Of course, it all went pear shaped eventually though. Some good supporting roles here for Ron Perlman and John C. McGinley. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion