What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 09 Jun 2014 01:34

Killer Joe (US Blu)
Starting like a Coen bros movie (one can think about Fargo), but then getting real violent. Very good film noir and probably the best Friedkin movie since a very long time - 8/10

Vikings: Season 2 (TV)
Even better than the first season, a brilliant story of blood, betrayal and conquest, entertwined with northern legends - 9/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 09 Jun 2014 21:54

Star Trek Into Darkness
Nuit Blanche (Sleepless Night)
Nitro Circus: The Movie
The Devil's Brigade
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 09 Jun 2014 22:36

We Are Legion (2012) - An interesting look at various 'hacktivist' groups, their beginnings, their successes, and their failures. This is a good documentary which doesn't take sides and manages to involve interviewing people who are against sites like WikiLeaks, as well as those who stand for particular ideals. It doesn't idolise the hackers, or call them criminals. Well-balanced and neutral. 8/10

Problem Child 2 (1991) - Ugh. The kid is easily one of the most annoying child actors out there, which suits the character, but doesn't do much for the fluidity of the movie. Skip it. 3/10

Gagarin: First in Space (2013) - This is a good biopic of Yuri Gagarin, but unfortunately a little flawed. Pacing was a little slow, and not enough time was spent on developing his relationship with his family members, whilst anything in his life which happened after the successful voyage, is missing altogether. Still, the strong cast and cinematography, do make this worthy of your time. 6/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 10 Jun 2014 01:54

The Last Stand (German Blu)
A good surprise (but I should have known better with Kim Jee-woon): it may be missing a little something to make it really great, but this was really enjoyable - 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 10 Jun 2014 05:05

ALICE, SWEET ALICE (Youtube) - 8/10

Watched this once on video under a different title years ago - Communion, then once on tv. Just watched it again to make sure if the latest UK dvd is worth buying. One of the best psychological thrillers of the 70s.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 11 Jun 2014 01:21

La Mala Educacion (Spanish Blu)
Hadn't seen this for a very long time, so it was also a rediscovery. Maybe not my personal favorite, but, as usual, a brilliant film by Almodovar, mixing several stories (past, present, movie shooting...), with true emotion and humor, ambiguous characters and mixed feelings - 8/10
However, picture quality is more DVD-like and so rather disappointing.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 12 Jun 2014 00:37

ALLAN QUATERMAIN AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD (First viewing, UK dvd) - 6.5/10

Another Cannon Films I used to like as a teen. The sequel to the campy King Solomon's Mines. This time around, Sharon Stone is still the screaming queen though not as irritating as her role in the first film. Then, there is another unfunny character Swarma whose comical gestures fall flat, and the maniacal Agon played by Henry Silva whose hairdo looks like that of KISS's Gene Simmons in the 80s.

One unforgettable thing about the film is the excellent musical score, comparable to that of Indiana Jones. You could easily sing the tune long after you've finished watching the film. It could even fit into the Indiana Jones films. I call it Quatermain's March.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 13 Jun 2014 01:36

Mushi-shi (French Blu)
Stories of a mushi hunter, the mushi being small creatures that are invisible to most humans but that can also cause various diseases or unexplained phenomenons (typical japanese theme !). This is based on individual episodes with almost no "back story", but stories are really great, often tragic and touching - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 13 Jun 2014 03:26

TITLE: Steins;Gate (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1910272 )
The ep01 & ep19 commentaries can be skipped, but the ep12 & ep24 commentaries are worth listening to. The music is interesting, especially the Toki Tsukasadoru end-credits song, which adds to the mood and atmosphere of the show. The show itself is one of the better animes, and also a quite good science-fiction and time-travel exploration. It takes 2-3 episodes to get into the groove of the show, as the start may seem incomprehensible: definitely worth perservering, but if it doesn't grab you by episode 6 then you can give it a miss. Also, the english-language version is the better way to experience the show due to the quality of the voice actors, who inject more believable personalities to the characters (without the over- or under-emphasis voice-acting that usually marr english anime dubs). The 5.1 soundtrack adds minor atmospheric ambience, but this is a mostly dialogue-driven show so does not really need it. Check it out online (I think Madman.com.au offer a few free episodes) for a taste, but viewing the episodes in order is essential.
Chris_Xa

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 14 Jun 2014 15:24

High Plains Drifter (US Blu)
Great Eastwood western with a strong Leone influence ! 8/10

Black Coal (Theater)
This movie won the Golden Bear at Berlin, so I was expecting something good... well it wasn't bad, but not really great. The mood reminds me some Korean movies (you never know if you have to laugh or to cry), but pretty slow... rather good story, but overall a disappointment - 6/10

The Grandmaster (French Blu)
Enjoyed this movie a lot, much more than after my frst viewing in theaters last year! Stylished (as ever with WKW), I really got into the mood this time and found it moving. It's as if we were able to witness a lost era, when code of honor mattered more than everything, before it got swept away by individual ambition, war and time. This also looks like an echo to "In the Mood for Love" with an impossible love story. Grandmaster is at least among the best of the director's, not to say his best - 9/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Jun 2014 19:30

The Tall Man
The Art of the Steal
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 19 Jun 2014 23:35

Pacific Rim
Stoker
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 19 Jun 2014 23:50

X-Men (French Blu)
Maybe not the best movie of the series, but a really good introduction - 7/10

Game of Thrones: Season 4 (Download)
Last episode a few days ago. Pretty unequal as season 3, with some great moments (the second episode, the last two...). But most of the time, not much happens. However, this remains a very ambitious show - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 21 Jun 2014 21:12

La Proie (AKA The Prey)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 22 Jun 2014 15:04

Breaking Bad: Season 5.1 (US Blu)
First part of the last season, still great, almost on par with the best seasons - 9/10

The Bay (TV)
Decent "Lost and found" horror movie, pretty much liked it - 6/10

The Great Gatsby (French Blu)
Didn't like much this movie, which I found "soulless". Really not fond of the visual style, music and actors here... not much substance. A true disappointement - 4/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 24 Jun 2014 12:06

What Women Want
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 26 Jun 2014 19:02

A Million Ways to Die in the West
Wolf Creek 2
The Last Airbender
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 27 Jun 2014 08:12

Bulletproof
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 27 Jun 2014 19:53

Breaking Bad: Season 5.2 (US Blu)
Final part of the last season, amazing conclusion for one the best series ever directed (in my top 5 at least !) - 9/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 27 Jun 2014 22:00

Les Lyonnais (A Gang Story)
Bad Neighbours (Neighbors)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion