Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 28 Jul 2014 21:04

Sabotage (2014)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 28 Jul 2014 21:06

What did you think? Not Arnie's best out of his recent stuff IMO, but still enjoyable enough. I preferred both The Escape Plan and The Last Stand.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 28 Jul 2014 21:33

I found it enjoyable, I would of liked a bit less shaky cam. Arnie looked good. I wish Expendables 3 would of had brutality this one had.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 28 Jul 2014 22:30

Bad Boys II (2003) - Yes. I like Michael Bay. :lol: :oops: :wink: 7/10

Coffee Town (2013) - First act is very strong, but the final third not so much. Overall, certainly above average. 7/10

Anger Management (2003) - The supporting cast make this worthwhile. Kevin Nealon, Luis Guzman, John Turturro and John McEnroe are the strongest elements of this movie. 6/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 29 Jul 2014 21:42

The Three Stooges (2012)
The Chase (1994)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 30 Jul 2014 23:10

John Carpenter's They Live
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 31 Jul 2014 13:06

As usual, cult movies of the 70s marathon:

BARRACUDA (First viewing; YouTube) – 6.5/10
I re-watched it after my first viewing on VHS decades ago. This 1978 low budget film could have been better given its interesting premise, at least to me. It’s not a Jaws-like thriller but more of a detective thriller – uncovering the mystery surrounding the barracuda attacks. Wayne Crawford of JAKE SPEED (1986) stars and directs. I decided not to get the US Dark Sky Films DVD as it is in full screen and only available as a double feature with a terrible B-movie.

RANSOM (First viewing; YouTube) – 6.5/10
It goes under many titles: THE TOWN THAT CRIED TERROR, THE RANSOM, ATTACK ON PARADISE and MANIAC! ... A KILLER, which showed that the filmmakers themselves did not have a clear idea what the film was all about, let alone the audience. Despite that, this forgotten 1977 action thriller has certain appeal: the familiar stars that comprise Oliver Reed, Stuart Whitman, Jim Mitchum, John Ireland and Paul Koslo, and the chase sequences involving car and motorcycle stunts.

The story tells about a Vietnam War vet turned wacko (Koslo) who is randomly killing people of a small town in Arizona while demanding a huge ransom to be paid by the town’s richest man. He will not stop terrorizing until his demand is met. The rich man (Whitman) does not want to comply but instead plans his own way to deal with him. He hires a detective (Reed) who then gets the help of a Vietnam War vet tracker (Mitchum) to bring him down at any cost.

This film has not been released on DVD yet.

THE DESERTER (First viewing; YouTube) – 6.5/10
A 1971 Dino de Laurentis production with familiar faces of the time: Bekim Fehmiu, Richard Crenna, Ricardo Montalban, John Huston, Chuck Connors, Slim Pickens, Woody Strode, Patrick Wayne and Ian Bannen. The cast is what attracted me to see it :)

The plot resembles THE DIRTY DOZEN but set in the Wild West. You get the idea, just like: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, KILL ‘EM ALL AND COME BACK ALONE, FIVE MAN ARMY and A REASON TO LIVE, A REASON TO DIE.

Captain Victor Kaleb (Fehmiu), a deserter of a US Army cavalry in the American southwest is offered a second chance to serve his country. He is assigned to lead a squad of ragtag soldiers to infiltrate and destroy an Apache stronghold nestled in the mountain valleys of Mexico.The squad members consist of trained soldiers, a doctor and experts in explosives (Connors), gaitling guns (Wayne), scouting (Montalban and Pickens), knife-throwing and others whom all have to undergo arduous training in the deserts and cliffs before setting off for the kill-or-be-killed mission. More than a dozen men set off, only five return.

This obscure men-on-a-mission western can be summed up as “Cowboys vs Apaches” and, to my knowledge, has not yet surfaced on the DVD format in the US or UK.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 02 Aug 2014 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 01 Aug 2014 21:43

Back in the Day (2014)
Bad Country (2014)
Divergent (2014)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 02 Aug 2014 02:43

Martial Arts Madness Marathon:

KILL SQUAD (First viewing; YouTube) – 5.5/10
One of those 80's low budget B-movies I remember watching on VHS back in its glory days. All the cast are unknown except for Cameron Mitchell. A lot of the scenes in this hilariously bad American karate-fu flick make you howl, here are a few I have spotted:

1. Whenever the fighting kicks in, jazzy background music starts playing.
2. The blows and kicks all have “whack” and “yeow” sounds like those heard in badly dubbed kung fu films :-?
3. There is one scene when one of the kill squad members is pushed by two goons from the roof of a four-storey building and falls dead on top of a parked car. When the goons reach said car to get rid of the body, it is missing. The man (who is supposed to be dead) suddenly appears unscathed and says “Looking for me?” :o
4. In every scene where one or more of the kill squad members get into trouble, the random people they meet seem to have an appetite for destruction, even the women. Everybody in this film is kung fu fighting!
5. The film climax has an utterly ridiculous twist!
6. During the final fight when the mysterious bad guy’s face is revealed, his face is shown black and blue and three of his teeth are impressed on his lips without any rhyme or reason. The problem is that these are done by bad make-up! :(
7. The one-liners and dialogues are equally bad. In one scene:

Joseph: I realize the police are not going to help. We gonna have to take these matters into our own hands. Assemble the squad.
Larry (Joseph’s best friend, chuckling): Alright, now you’re talking Joe…They owe you, I owe you. Hell, we all owe you!

And in every scene when each of the kill squad members is being summoned, this line is repeated: “Joseph needs you!”

It’s not on DVD yet, but it comes recommended to relieve your stress :lol:

RAW FORCE (First viewing; YouTube) – 3/10
Also known as KUNG FU CANNIBALS (1982), RAW FORCE is a weird wretched mishmash which also stars Cameron Mitchell. If KILL SQUAD has a thin plot, at least it is focused. This is even worse: it has elements of action, exploitation, kung fu, comedy and horror all thrown in. The film did not know what it wanted to be. You’ll see mad hooded devil priests sacrificing women flesh to resurrect dead Japanese warriors buried on an island, Japanese zombie warriors that attack and kill castaway tourists, a Hitler look-alike who sells prostitutes to the mad hooded priests, piranhas inhabiting the island waters (Hey, aren't piranhas living in rivers?), and our heroes – a group of martial arts students who fight the zombies. It’s a terrible mess. Not on DVD yet and not recommended at all.

L.A. STREETFIGHTERS (First viewing; YouTube) – 5.5/10
This 1985 production is also known as NINJA TURF but it’s misleading as there are no ninjas in it. I used to like it when I watched it as a teen because of the fight scenes. Two South Korean martial artists Jun Chong and Philip Rhee (BEST OF THE BEST) star. The best part of this action film is the fight scenes, which are pretty good. Not on DVD yet.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 02 Aug 2014 19:34

This Must Be the Place (2011)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 03 Aug 2014 02:26

TRAINED TO KILL (YouTube) – 5/10
One of the many movies I saw on VHS. Frank Zagarino, Henry Silva, Robert Z’dar, Ron O’Neal and Chuck Connors star in this insipid 1989 actioner.

Two brothers (Zagarino and another unpopular actor) swear to avenge their father’s death (Connors), a Vietnam veteran who was brutally killed by his former Vietnam comrades led by Duran (Silva). Despite trying hard to cram as much excitement with many fights and shootouts, this one is a bore to watch. Not on DVD yet.

THE HUMAN SHIELD (First viewing; YouTube) – 6.5/10
1991 was the beginning of the year I quit watching VHS for some personal reasons, which was why I had not seen this late Michael Dudikoff vehicle.

Douglas Matthews (Dudikoff) an ex-US marine is forced to return to Iraq to rescue his diabetic brother who is kidnapped and held prisoner by General Dallal, an Iraqi general whom Matthews disgraced in front of his men during a raid five years before. The general will do whatever it takes to settle the score.

This film was produced with a limited budget under Cannon Pictures but director Ted Post (Magnum Force) managed to make good use of it. The pacing is uneven but overall it’s watchable. A Scandinavian DVD, I think, is available but hard to find.

HIGH RISK (First viewing; YouTube) – 7/10
Cast: James Brolin, Bruce Davison, Anthony Quinn, Lindsay Wagner, James Coburn and Ernest Borgnine

When it played at the cinemas, I remember the theatrical poster that shows a bunch of men in a chopper shooting with machine guns and have always thought that it was an out-and-out action movie that I wanted to see. Now that I have finally seen it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this is an enjoyable blend of adventure, action and comedy.

Four unemployed young Americans equipped with machine guns head to Colombia to rob a drug-lord. The heist comes easily but that is just the beginning of their adventure…

This has been available on several public domain DVD releases, which I have never thought of buying. I hope that this will get a proper release on DVD or blu-ray. This 1981 sleeper should have been more widely appreciated than it has been.

Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 03 Aug 2014 19:48

To the Wonder (2012)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 04 Aug 2014 01:52

Season 4 of The Killing (Netflix) - what a great final season, sad this show is over, terrific edge-of-your seat case this season, amazing performances and a satisfying ending in the finale. 10/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 04 Aug 2014 05:57

CAPRICORN ONE (First viewing; YouTube) – 7.5/10
I have known about this since the VHS days but never got around to renting it. Just watched it for the first time and I’d say it’s an exciting conspiracy thriller. Jerry Goldsmith’s score very much helps to elevate the tension.

AVALANCHE (Swarm.tv) – 6.5/10
I felt I had to re-watch this 1978 disaster flick as there is a US blu-ray coming out soon. Not as good as EARTHQUAKE but worth a look for those who enjoy disaster movies.

THE KILLER ELITE (First viewing; Swarm.tv) – 6/10
I finally watched this sub-par Sam Peckinpah’s film. What many viewers have commented on this film is true: the pacing too slow, the runtime too long and the plot rather convoluted. While watching the film, I was expecting to see the showdown between Locken (James Caan) and Hansen (Robert Duvall) happening at the climax, but it does not happen. Their uninspired showdown, the chop-socky scenes at the airport and the ninja fighting on the decks of the large US Navy Mothball Fleet all make the whole film even more unsatisfying as a Peckinpah film.

Davy_Lee

Postby Samuel_Scott » 04 Aug 2014 23:03

The Kelly Reichardt Collection - http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3333
Samuel_Scott

Postby Davy_Lee » 05 Aug 2014 02:29

Vincent Price double feature:
THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER (First viewing; YouTube) – 6.5/10
It turned out that this was more of a period drama thriller than horror.

DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN! (First viewing; YouTube) – 7/10
Although the plot becomes repetitive, the sequel is still a winner.

Peter Cushing double feature:
THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN (First viewing; YouTube) – 7/10
Not much evil in Dr. Frankenstein this time.

CAPTAIN CLEGG (First viewing; YouTube) – 8/10
A surprisingly enjoyable period drama because of its direction, music and engaging performances especially by Peter Cushing.

Davy_Lee

Postby Noor_Razzak » 06 Aug 2014 04:50

The Kings of Summer (Netflix) - wonderful coming of age film, celebrates the best and worst things about youth although somewhat predictable it had a lot of heart. 8/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 06 Aug 2014 08:36

MANIAC COP 2 (First viewing; US blu-ray) - 6.5/10

Didn't see it at the cinema or on video. Action-wise, this is better than the first installment; plot-wise, it is less convincing.

Hey, Danny Trejo plays as a cameo in a 5-second blink-and-you'll-miss shot as a prisoner!
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 27 Jun 2015 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

Davy_Lee

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 08 Aug 2014 14:04

The Purge (TV)
Minor horror/action flick, nothing to get really excited - 5/10

Le Serpent (TV)
There should be more French thrillers like this one: good "hitchcockian" story, good actors, directing could have been better though - 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 09 Aug 2014 15:16

Cult films of the 70's not on DVD yet:

THE ZEBRA FORCE (First viewing; YouTube) - 6.5/10
Very low budget B-movie of 1976 with unknown stars. Lots of shootouts, some in slo-mo with nice funky music and a twist ending.

After the Vietnam war, the former leader of a crack commando team decides to lead his men on a personal battle against organized crime in their city. This kill team disguises themselves as blacks when in action. When one of the kill squad members gets caught and his real identity is revealed, the mob retaliates and all hell breaks loose.

Despite having a ridiculous (and racist) plot: whites posing as black perpetrators and vice versa, it's quite entertaining if you are into this kind of B-movies of the 70's. There is a proper Japanese DVD release but the seller doesn't ship their DVDs internationally :(

For those curious: http://www.allcinema.net/dvd/zebra.html

Code Red might be releasing this on DVD in the US.

Davy_Lee

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion