What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 05 Feb 2014 01:47

The Dark Knight Rises (French Blu)
Not as good as The Dark Knight, but still awesome - 9/10

Dexter: Season 6 (UK Blu)
Maybe not the very best season of the show, but a damn good one. One of the best series of the past decade, that manages to keep an excellent level even after six years - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Feb 2014 03:58

The Hangover II (digital) - Practically a remake of the first but in a different country and nowhere near as funny. Has its moments, and still an enjoyable enough way to waste some time, but this was a pointless remake. 6/10

The Hangover III (digital) - Really not like the other two at all, and although I liked the approach, laughs were few and far between compared to the first. The giraffe scene though? Hilarious. I wish they hadn't included it in the trailer. 6/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Noor_Razzak » 05 Feb 2014 19:48

"John Mulaney - New In Town" (Netflix) a stand-up special, brilliant, John is one funny guy and enjoyed his special very much.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 05 Feb 2014 20:41

The Hangover II (digital) - Practically a remake of the first but in a different country and nowhere near as funny. Has its moments, and still an enjoyable enough way to waste some time, but this was a pointless remake. 6/10

The Hangover III (digital) - Really not like the other two at all, and although I liked the approach, laughs were few and far between compared to the first. The giraffe scene though? Hilarious. I wish they hadn't included it in the trailer. 6/10

I won't even bother with those turds. Couldn't watch the first one to the end. So boring, stupid and badly acted...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 05 Feb 2014 22:31

The Polar Express (French Blu)
Really not my type of movie, but not bad for kids I guess, even it seems technically quite outdated - 6/10.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Feb 2014 00:25

My mega marathon didn't pan out as I ended up having to do a bunch of stuff last minute. Just the one since my last post:

The Killers (UK Blu) - I can't believe I left it so long to see this. Lee Marvin absolutely owns the screen, and the story is very well constructed. Excellent stuff. 9/10 - http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3115
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 07 Feb 2014 00:13

Boomerang Family (2013) (UK DVD) - I wasn't sure what to expect from this, but it's an enjoyable drama with a smattering of very dark comedy. Although the family may be dysfunctional, there are many subtle touches to show how they also look out for each other. 7/10

Seduced and Abandoned (2013) (UK DVD) - This documentary that shows James Toback and Alec Baldwin at Cannes attempting to get a film financed, is often very funny. On the whole though, it is also quite eye-opening with regards to film finance. 8/10

The A-Team (2010) (UK Blu) - The definition of a popcorn flick. Mindless entertainment, a few laughs, a reasonable but loose storyline... Brain disengaged. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Feb 2014 00:29

Brighton Rock (2010) (UK Blu) - I liked it, but Sam Riley and Andrea Riseborough were just not strong enough to give it soul. This could've been combated to a point by giving more screen time to veterans John Hurt and Helen Mirren, but alas, it just falls slightly wayward. 6/10

Bloody Homecoming (2012) (UK DVD) - As far as low budget slasher films go, this isn't bad at all. A fun killer, a cast that are not too old to be playing teens, and a good attempt at bringing back the 80s style slasher. If you like movies such as "Prom Night", you'll find enough to enjoy here to warrant a viewing with a few beers and some friends. 5/10

Black Water Vampire (2014) (UK DVD) - It's a typical found footage horror movie that seems to have borrowed more from The Blair Witch Project than similar cash-ins have. It's not a bad attempt at the sub-genre, with a surprisingly cool looking vampire. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone, but fans of found footage films will certainly enjoy it. 5/10

Film 100 of 2014 Assassination (1987) (German Blu) - Far from Bronson's best film of the 1980's, Assassination still has a few things going for it including a competent story and a couple of decent action scenes. Unfortunately, the supporting cast and the pacing are slightly amiss. 5/10

Peter Kay: The Tour That Didn't Tour Tour (2010) (UK Blu) - lassic Peter Kay. Manages to find the humour in what people do in their day to day lives, such as when we panic when we only have 4% left on our DVR, or going to the dentist. The encore was a complete miss though. 7/10

The Last Seven (2010) (UK Blu) - Bloody awful. I can usually forgive Danny Dyer and Tamer Hassan, but even by their standards, this is dross. 2/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 08 Feb 2014 01:13

Watched Scream Factory's excellent blu-ray of "Darkman" - love that movie, brings back good memories.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 Feb 2014 01:20

Grudge Match
Anna Karenina
Ironclad
For the Love of Money
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 08 Feb 2014 01:57

Jappeloup (TV)
I was wondering if I was really going to watch this (biography of a French rider that got World medal in Seoul), but I didn't regret - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 08 Feb 2014 12:54

The Last Seven (2010) (UK Blu) - Bloody awful. I can usually forgive Danny Dyer and Tamer Hassan, but even by their standards, this is dross. 2/10

I'll definitely check it out.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Feb 2014 22:36

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I didn't watch a film today. Instead, I went to Murrayfield and watched the mighty England defeat Scotland in the 6 Nations! :drinking:
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 Feb 2014 23:14

Red Dawn (2012)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 09 Feb 2014 00:52

Silent Hill: Revelation (TV)
Pretty bad, never got into it... 4/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 09 Feb 2014 01:13

Vincent_Bouche wrote:Silent Hill: Revelation (TV)
Pretty bad, never got into it... 4/10

Yeah, what's the point of the entire movie? It's plotless, has terrible dialog, boring and there's barely any acting... what a nasty turd. :oops:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 10 Feb 2014 00:34

Not Another Happy Ending (2013) (UK DVD) - It's as formulaic as you come, and the script is a little loose, but it's an enjoyable little Scottish film, and Karen Gillan has a surprisingly strong screen presence. 6/10

In Fear (2013) (UK DVD) - Strong British chiller with an above average cast. Considering the entire feature consists of practically three characters and a car driving round the Irish back roads, there is a lot to enjoy here. 7/10

And some background rewatches whilst I did other stuff.

Deliverance (1972) (USA Blu) - I've seen this a number of times now, and it's still one of the best survivalist movies ever made - if not, the best. Perfectly cast and several stand out scenes which still shock, even by today's standards. 9/10

Bullitt (1968) (USA Blu) - What makes this film, is McQueen. It doesn't rely on heavy action sequences (though of course the car chase is legendary) or on McQueen become a wise-cracking mental case, instead relying on a quiet character whose persona you can see change through his expressions. 8/10

The Getaway (1972) (USA Blu) - A strong cast and a well-crafted film that just happens to be a little overlong. Peckinpah is on form, but not quite at his best, though it does have his usual violent tendencies. Not quite a classic for me, and the score doesn't really fit IMO, but still recommended. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 10 Feb 2014 01:26

Aventure Magache (UK Blu)
Another short by Hitchcock, also in French, offered on the "Lifeboat" blu-ray, and also taking place during WWII - 6/10

The Master (UK Blu)
Second viewing after theaters, really great cast... but also pretty "boring" IMO - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 10 Feb 2014 13:39

In Fear (2013) (UK DVD) - Strong British chiller with an above average cast. Considering the entire feature consists of practically three characters and a car driving round the Irish back roads, there is a lot to enjoy here. 7/10

Another Hush?
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 10 Feb 2014 13:56

I've not seen Hush.
Samuel_Scott

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion