What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 10 Feb 2014 23:23

Cop Out (2010) (UK Blu) - Never understood the outright hate this one got. Tracy Morgan and Bruce Willis play off each other well, and there are plenty of laughs. Seann William Scott and Rashida Jones should've been in it more, and Kevin Smith still lacks technical ability, but as a comedy, it made me laugh, and that is all I ask. 7/10

Hellgate (1989) (UK Blu) - Awful, awful film, but sort of what I expected. Poorly acted, poorly constructed, yet Levey managed to find an awesome ghost town set. Why this film has achieved 'cult' status in some film communities, is beyond me. 2/10

Foxy Brown (1974) (UK Blu) - Pam Grier owns this blaxploitation feature which is one of the best of the sub-genre. Jack Hill does a great job behind the camera, and the dialogue is great throughout. Got to love the sex and violence in this one also. It's a product of its time, and has stood up very well. 7/10

Dream House (2011) (UK Blu) - It showed promise, but came completely apart after the second act. A great cast, completely wasted. It's not director Jim Sheridan's fault. The producer changed the film completely, and Sheridan even tried to take them to court to make it a 'Smithee' film. He lost, but the cast stood by him and refused to promote the movie. 4/10

Rumour Has It (2005) (UK Blu) - One of Jennifer Aniston's better rom-coms, it manages to utilise an above average supporting cast for the genre with Kevin Costner and Mark Ruffalo. It's easy-going and has enough to like, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. 6/10

Talk to Me (2007) (UK Blu) - I was loving this at the start. Great cast, cracking story etc... but then... Petey moves away from the radio station and I lost all interest. Although the true story is truly fascinating, this is a biopic of two halves. 6/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 11 Feb 2014 10:18

Foxy Brown (1974) (UK Blu) - Pam Grier owns this blaxploitation feature which is one of the best of the sub-genre. Jack Hill does a great job behind the camera, and the dialogue is great throughout. Got to love the sex and violence in this one also. It's a product of its time, and has stood up very well. 7/10

She never gets naked there, too bad. :) Coffy is still her best movie. :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 11 Feb 2014 10:37

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:

She never gets naked there, too bad. :) Coffy is still her best movie. :lol:

My favourite is Black Mama White Mama. I'm really hoping more blaxploitation is released in Blu this year, and if Arrow can get any of them looking as surprisingly good as this one (I watched the extras when it was first released), I'll be a very happy bunny.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 11 Feb 2014 12:17

and if Arrow can get any of them looking as surprisingly good as this one (I watched the extras when it was first released), I'll be a very happy bunny.

Yeah, I was suprised too how Foxy Brown looks good on Blu. Though only 2.0 mix is a joke. C'mon, how's about some 7.1 or atleast 6.1 mix?
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 12 Feb 2014 00:35

All Is Bright
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 12 Feb 2014 01:07

The Spirit (2008) (UK Blu) - Probably the biggest disappointment of 2008 for me. It looks great, and holy crap, what a cast, but the story is lacklustre and structure is poor. An unfortunate waste. 4/10

The Mist (2007) (Canadian Blu) - Marcia Gay Harden could well be the most underrated actress in Hollywood. It's creepy, dark, and builds up tension extremely well, managing general uneasyness whilst using limited amounts of gore. Highly recommended. 9/10

Eastern Promises (2007) (UK Blu) - Cronenberg re-teams with the vastly underrated Viggo Mortensen in an excellent story that bases itself around the Russian mafia in London. I love how Cronenberg uses the violence as an integral part of the story, and not to shock. My only issue, was that some a couple of scenes didn't quite fit for me, but it's certainly an engrossing movie overall. 8/10

The Promise (2005) (UK Blu) - Chen Kaige is a great director, but this one falls short of his usual standard. The story feels too loose and the special effects are often laughable, but it's well paced and still enjoyable enough to sit through without the mind wondering. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 12 Feb 2014 01:21

Domesticas (Swiss DVD)
Hard to really enjoy a non-anamorphic DVD these days. Funny movie that would deserve a better edition to be really enjoyed - 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 12 Feb 2014 10:25

The Spirit (2008) (UK Blu) - Probably the biggest disappointment of 2008 for me. It looks great, and holy crap, what a cast, but the story is lacklustre and structure is poor. An unfortunate waste. 4/10

Yeah, the story makes no sense at all. Like some madman wrote the script. But still, the movie looks and sounds amazing. I own the UK Blu and HK DVD. Both A/V quality is perfect. You totally submerge into the movie.

The Mist (2007) (Canadian Blu) - Marcia Gay Harden could well be the most underrated actress in Hollywood. It's creepy, dark, and builds up tension extremely well, managing general uneasyness whilst using limited amounts of gore. Highly recommended. 9/10

Agree, the movie is very well written, superbly acted and the ending is the best I've seen in a long time.
And that woman is indeed crazy and evil. Worse then any arabic terrorist. :lol:

Eastern Promises (2007) (UK Blu) - Cronenberg re-teams with the vastly underrated Viggo Mortensen in an excellent story that bases itself around the Russian mafia in London. I love how Cronenberg uses the violence as an integral part of the story, and not to shock. My only issue, was that some a couple of scenes didn't quite fit for me, but it's certainly an engrossing movie overall. 8/10

The theme of russian mob is common these days but it's never accurate. The movie is no exception.
Especially when it comes to explaining those tattoos. Inaccurate at best.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 12 Feb 2014 23:45

Just a rewatch of Rush Hour today. 8/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 13 Feb 2014 00:46

Curse of Chucky - Unrated
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 13 Feb 2014 01:35

Sense and Sensibility (UK Blu)
Hadn't seen it for a very very long time (15 years?). Really brilliant, maybe my personal favorite among all Ang Lee's movies - 9/10.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Feb 2014 00:39

The last couple of days:

Attack the Block (2012) (TV) - One of the better British films of the year. Some great humour and fun monsters. I look forward to Joe Cornish's next films. 8/10

DOA: Dead or Alive (2006) (UK DVD) - Who cares if it isn't a great film? It's a lot of fun, and that's all I wanted from this one. The audio track on the UK DVD is pretty solid, with plenty of LFE action, and that really adds to the enjoyment. 8/10

Rendition (2007) (UK Blu) - There's no doubt about it, that this has a strong cast and is an interesting thriller, but at times it is a little overlong, and the storyline can be a little heavy-handed when a more subtle approach would've been more powerful. 7/10

The Love Guru (2008) (UK Blu) - A couple of funny moments from Verne Troyer, and one hilarious nod to the Bohemian Rhapsody scene from Wayne's World couldn't save the shallow, rubbish jokes that otherwise litter this movie. Skip it. 3/10

Troll Hunter (2010) (UK Blu) - The found-footage sub-genre is busier than a Tokyo subway train at rush hour, resulting in so many weak and cheap attempts that horror fans have become very cautious when approaching this type of movie. Every once in a while though, a genuine surprise comes through, and Troll Hunter is one of those surprises. It's darkly funny, and perfectly cast, and dare I say it, even original when compared to the avalanche of similar movies! 8/10

Greenberg (2010) (UK Blu) - I always avoided this one as I just couldn't see Ben Stiller in a Baumbach film, especially opposite Greta Gerwig. He nails it though, and plays his character well. The film balances the comedy into the drama well, and the pacing is spot on. I do think Jennifer Jason Leigh and Rhys Ifans were under utilised, and some of the supporting characters could've been developed a little better, bit overall, I enjoyed this more than I expected to. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 15 Feb 2014 11:39

DOA: Dead or Alive (2006) (UK DVD) - Who cares if it isn't a great film? It's a lot of fun, and that's all I wanted from this one. The audio track on the UK DVD is pretty solid, with plenty of LFE action, and that really adds to the enjoyment. 8/10

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. Though I recommend watching it on Blu or HK DVD as it has a wonderful DTS-ES track.

Troll Hunter (2010) (UK Blu) - The found-footage sub-genre is busier than a Tokyo subway train at rush hour, resulting in so many weak and cheap attempts that horror fans have become very cautious when approaching this type of movie. Every once in a while though, a genuine surprise comes through, and Troll Hunter is one of those surprises. It's darkly funny, and perfectly cast, and dare I say it, even original when compared to the avalanche of similar movies! 8/10

I still have to watch it.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Feb 2014 12:04

DOA is good fun, and I plan on upgrading sooner rather than later. Troll Hunter I've seen 3 times now. Cinema, and twice on Blu. Certainly recommend it, especially seen as it can be had for cheap.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 15 Feb 2014 14:50

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part I (Friend's disc - Japanese Blu)
Another "magical girls" japanimation movie, but this one is darker than the "Nanoha" ones I had watched a while ago - 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 15 Feb 2014 21:54

As Cool As I Am
Bad Kids Go To Hell
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Feb 2014 00:04

Todays viewings:

Short:

Letters of Service (2004) (iPlayer) - This is a short where a nurse pieces together the past of a psychiatric patient through photos and his drawings. 6/10

Features:

3:10 to Yuma (2007) (UK Blu) - One of the best remakes ever. Perfectly cast, spot-on pacing, and the right amount of action. When done right, westerns can be one of my favourite genres - such a shame we don't get many good ones these days! 9/10

Underworld: Evolution (2006) (UK Blu) - There's more focus on the action in this sequel and less on the story, and unfortunately, it suffers a little because of it. It's entertaining enough, but the lack of plot development can cause it to feel a little long in the tooth. 6/10

Cold Comes the Night (2013) (UK DVD) - Standard thriller that manages to outweigh the disappointing performance of Bryan Cranston, with a solid showing by Alice Eve. The story gets a little messy towards the end, but was good enough to warrant a small recommendation if you see it cheap. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 16 Feb 2014 11:20

3:10 to Yuma (2007) (UK Blu) - One of the best remakes ever. Perfectly cast, spot-on pacing, and the right amount of action. When done right, westerns can be one of my favourite genres - such a shame we don't get many good ones these days! 9/10

I was quite disappointed, barely watched it to the end.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 16 Feb 2014 13:42

Perfume: Story of a Murderer (French Blu)
One of my favorite movies... rewatching it in Blu was a great experience! - 9/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Feb 2014 23:11

Big - The Extended Cut
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion