What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 17 Feb 2014 00:01

The Stranger Within (2013) (UK DVD) - Essentially, this is a poor man's thriller - as should be recognised instantly by the starring names being William Baldwin and Estella Warren. It's not complete rubbish, but there's not a single fresh or new idea here, and I saw every twist coming a mile away. 4/10

Pulp Fiction (1994) (UK Blu) - Finally got around to watching my Blu-ray copy of this and no matter how many times I watch it, I'm always glued to the screen. I know many do not like Tarantino, and I can see their reasons, but you can put me firmly in the fan(boy) category. Jackie Brown is still his best though! 10/10

Certified Copy (2010) (UK Blu) - Abbas Kiarostami's first European film is a success. It's unbelievably simplistic, but at the same time, incredibly deep. The cast is exceptional, and manage to help the film to avoid feeling a little pretentious. 8/10

Somers Town (2008) (UK Blu) - This is another great film from Shane Meadows in my opinion. He's great at doing films that revolve around unlikely friendships, and with Meadows regulars Thomas Turgoose and Perry Benson in tow, my high expectations were met. What the hell has happened to Turgoose though? He was one of the most up and coming young British talents around, and the last few years have been unfortunately quiet. 8/10

Million Dollar Baby (2004) (UK Blu) - This was one of those films that was praised at the time, but was also 'cool to hate' on film forums. Never understood the hate myself, and think Eastwood, Swank and Freeman are all on top form. The ending is as powerful now, as it was the first time I viewed it ten years ago. 9/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 17 Feb 2014 00:38

The Possession (TV)
Rather good "exorcism" movie - 6/10

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part II (Friend's disc - Japanese Blu)
Following of the first movie I had watched two days ago, still dark and a very good story! - 7/10
There's a third movie, but the first two make a consistent story with an ending of their own.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 17 Feb 2014 10:00

Death At A Funeral (2010) [Blu RUS]. 10/10. Simply fantastic. Even better then the original movie.
The original UK movie is awesome too. 9/10 coz it's less hilarious. But still awesome.

Up In The Air (2009) what a wasted time... dreadful. 1/10. What's the point of the whole movie? Almost fell asleep at the end.

Pulp Fiction (1994) (UK Blu) - Finally got around to watching my Blu-ray copy of this and no matter how many times I watch it, I'm always glued to the screen. I know many do not like Tarantino, and I can see their reasons, but you can put me firmly in the fan(boy) category. Jackie Brown is still his best though! 10/10

Senseless, though sometimes entertaining to a certain degree. It's incredible popularity in some countries is beyond me. 5/10

Million Dollar Baby (2004) (UK Blu) - This was one of those films that was praised at the time, but was also 'cool to hate' on film forums. Never understood the hate myself, and think Eastwood, Swank and Freeman are all on top form. The ending is as powerful now, as it was the first time I viewed it ten years ago. 9/10

Movies don't get more boring then that. Never understood the hype surrounding this one. The dialog and acting are pretty basic. 3/10
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 17 Feb 2014 22:15

Blue Caprice
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 18 Feb 2014 01:26

13th Warrior (French Blu)
Good Viking movie, this blu-ray was really a rediscovery, I had forgotten most of it! 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 19 Feb 2014 00:36

Yesterday:

Frankenstein: A True Story (1973) (UK DVD) - It's an epic of a feature, and has a phenomenal cast. The story is very enjoyable and a great twist on the usual Frankenstein storytelling, and a reminder that even British TV had some half decent special effects at times in the 1970's. 8/10

Today (unplanned as was due away today for work but no flight so an extra day respite!):

The Replacement Killers (1998) (USA Blu) - Chow Yun Fat has never really broken the Western market, despite the fact he's awesome. This is probably my favourite of his Hollywood films (though I have a daft soft spot for Bulletproof Monk), and he gels with Mira Sorvino really well. The story is engrossing, but nothing new, but the action scenes are enjoyable. Recommended. 7/10

Truth or Consequences, N.M. (1997) (USA Blu) - Wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was. The cast work really well together, with Kiefer Sutherland playing a great scumbag, and Kevin Pollak stealing the show as the victim who starts to feel part of the gang. Better than it has any right to be. 7/10

Father Hood (1993) (USA Blu) - I quite like seeing actors such as Patrick Swayze in low-end Hollywood family films, and Father Hood is enjoyable for what it is. Some funny moments, a great little role from Diane Lane, and Halle Berry as a reporter, Father Hood is one of those 'hangover' movies. Easy to watch, without having to really engage. 5/10

Life with Mikey (1993) (USA Blu) - Even though it's only twenty years old, it has aged horrendously, but still has a certain charm at times. Michael J. Fox is one of those actors that can make decent family films (BTTF trilogy, The Mighty Ducks), and although this is nowhere near as good as those, it's not bad - just instantly forgettable. 5/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 19 Feb 2014 01:03

The Man with the Iron Fists (TV)
Very unusual for for me but I didn't go through! I stopped after 20/25minutes... terrible! Probably one of the worst movies I tried to watch in years - 2/10

Porco Rosso (Japanese Blu - Friend's disc)
Not my personal favorite from Miyazaki, but still awesome! 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 19 Feb 2014 10:29

Hummingbird
Funny People - Extended Cut
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 19 Feb 2014 19:06

The Replacement Killers (1998) (USA Blu) - Chow Yun Fat has never really broken the Western market, despite the fact he's awesome. This is probably my favourite of his Hollywood films (though I have a daft soft spot for Bulletproof Monk), and he gels with Mira Sorvino really well. The story is engrossing, but nothing new, but the action scenes are enjoyable. Recommended. 7/10

Agree. I just wish it was a little longer, like 120 min. :-D

Hummingbird

What a rubbish... 1/10

Funny People - Extended Cut

I'll watch it asap. Totally forgot I have it...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 19 Feb 2014 19:34

I enjoyed Hummingbird. Fresh, and something a little different for Statham. Its real problem was the way it was marketed as something completely different.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 19 Feb 2014 20:03

I enjoyed Hummingbird. Fresh, and something a little different for Statham. Its real problem was the way it was marketed as something completely different.

Statham isn't the problem. It's the script, cast and dialog suck. The action is very general and there's so little of it.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 19 Feb 2014 20:55

Up In The Air
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 19 Feb 2014 22:56

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:

Statham isn't the problem. It's the script, cast and dialog suck. The action is very general and there's so little of it.

But it's not an action film... and that's why I'm saying it was marketed wrong, because that is what people expected from it. :wink:

Today:
Bloodsport 3 (1996) (UK DVD) - I usually like this type of thing, but it was horribly repetitive, and, to be frank, I was bored poopless. 2/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 20 Feb 2014 22:57

Attack of the Sabretooth (2005) (UK DVD) - Not bad enough to be in the 'so bad it's good' category, but not good enough to recommend to even the most hardcore creature feature fan. Just avoid this one. 3/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 20 Feb 2014 23:04

Carrie (2013)
Citadel
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 20 Feb 2014 23:40

Welcome to the Punch (TV)
Not much to say except it is a decent thriller - 6/10

Camille Claudel 1915 (TV)
Life of famous French sculptor Camille Claudel that ended up in a madhouse at the beginning of the 20th century and lived there during the last 30 years of her life. Wonderful performance by Juliette Binoche, but nothing much going on - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 21 Feb 2014 09:59

Child's Play Collection + Curse Of Chucky [US Blu]. Awesome! All 6 movies are great.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 22 Feb 2014 23:53

Class (1983)
Conned
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 23 Feb 2014 00:51

Lincoln (French Blu)
I'm definitely not a Spielberg-buff, but great performance by the greatest DDL - 7/10

No One Lives (TV)
Pretty good slasher/horror movie directed by Japanese director Ryuhei Kitamura - 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 23 Feb 2014 11:08

Colditz (2005) [Ger Blu], a decent TV movie but a horrible disc. It's nothing but an upscaled DVD. Really bad. Avoid.
Ronin [UK blu], awesome movie, true classic. Very good Blu. Not perfect but still very nice.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion