What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 16 Mar 2014 21:58

Space Station
Documentary about the international space station (narrated by Tom Cruise).

World War Z (French Blu, Unrated version)
Some spectacular scenes for this "zombies" movie - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 17 Mar 2014 10:15

World War Z (French Blu, Unrated version)
Some spectacular scenes for this "zombies" movie - 6/10

I still haven't watched it! Always postpone...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 17 Mar 2014 22:33

Let Me In
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 18 Mar 2014 08:51

Sculder wrote:Let Me In

Is that the original swedish, or the remake? How well did you like it?
Chris_Xa

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 18 Mar 2014 09:40

Chris_Xa wrote:
Sculder wrote:Let Me In

Is that the original swedish, or the remake? How well did you like it?

The original was named "Låt den rätte komma in" aka "Let the Right One In" so this is the US remake. It was ok, I rated the original 7/10 and remake 6/10 on IMDb. But I think I would of rated the remake higher if I had not seen the original before.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 18 Mar 2014 10:50

The original was named "Låt den rätte komma in" aka "Let the Right One In" so this is the US remake. It was ok, I rated the original 7/10 and remake 6/10 on IMDb. But I think I would of rated the remake higher if I had not seen the original before.

So, should I watch the original movie or the US remake?
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Chris_Xa » 18 Mar 2014 13:13

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
Sculder wrote:The original was named "Låt den rätte komma in" aka "Let the Right One In" so this is the US remake. It was ok, I rated the original 7/10 and remake 6/10 on IMDb. But I think I would of rated the remake higher if I had not seen the original before.

So, should I watch the original movie or the US remake?

Personally I rated both the same (appx 4/10, logarithmic scale) but for different reasons. I found the remake's performances were better (or more believable), but the original's direction and tone was slightly better. Watched the remake first, but still got something out of the (obviously) similar original.
Jim if you can only watch one, pick what's more important to you: direction/feel or performances. They both share the same moody/dark look/cinematography, so that's not a factor.
Chris_Xa

Postby Samuel_Scott » 20 Mar 2014 00:27

Today's viewings:

Finished up the featurettes on "Escape Plan" (UK Blu) - Watched the movie yesterday for a second time, and I like it - bringing Sly and Arnie together as leads could been a bomb, but they did well. 7/10

Hell Comes to Frogtown (UK Blu) - Such a barmy film. You know deep down it's a pile of crap, but there is so much to love and Roddy Piper looks like he's having a blast. Enjoy it for what it is. 6/10

Sorority Row (UK Blu) - A lot of these horror remakes get a bad rap, but this was passable, if disappointing. A reasonable cast, but the kill scenes and tension were lacking. 5/10

The Edge of the World (UK Blu) - Great cast, stunning shots and scenery, but a little slow-moving at times. BFI's Blu-ray of this 1936 film looks fantastic. 7/10

St Kilda: Britain's Loneliest Isle (UK Blu) - Short that was shot between 1925-1928 and is included on the "The Edge of the World" release, this is an interesting look at the people of St Kilda, and it's links to the mainland. 7/10 - Random fact - I can practically see St Kilda on the horizon from my house on a clear day.

White of the Eye (UK Blu) - Mental thriller/slasher (?) that is a bizarre cross between a Dario Argento film, and a Brian De Palma film. Going to dig into the wealth of extras through the early hours. 8/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Chris_Xa » 20 Mar 2014 07:58

Samuel_Scott wrote:Hell Comes to Frogtown (UK Blu) - Such a barmy film. You know deep down it's a pile of crap...

If we're talking crap, my unfortunate contribution in this dept is SHARKNADO. Read the premise and was expecting crap, but then there was all that hype around it - and I thought "well if others like it, it must have something going for it? Even has a sequel lined up supposedly!" Unfortunately, no; 1.25/10 (logarithmic scale) from me. A somewhat environmental film with a not bad setup and ok digital photography (given the low budget) - but let down by a mostly derivative script, artificial drama; below average cgi FX, action, direction, contrived action, production design, cinematography; poor editing, acting, unrealistic science. References JAWS, CROCODILE DUNDEE. Poor gag-reel and behind-scenes extras.

On a more positive note, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW got 4.5/10 (logarithmic scale) from me. Well directed, acted, and film does not feel aged/old at all. Good cinematography captures a small remote town's jaded isolation, despondency, boredom — where sex becomes a pastime (haven't seen Fiddler on the Roof so I don't know if that should have won the Oscar instead). Good A Look Back, Re-release extras; average trailer. Deserved Oscar win for Cloris, but don't think Ben did enough to get his Oscar win.
Last edited by Chris_Xa on 20 Mar 2014 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 20 Mar 2014 10:16

Watched World War Z Unrated / 2D, just another zombie movie...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 20 Mar 2014 21:48

Philomena
Piranha 3DD
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 20 Mar 2014 22:31

Donald Cammell: The Ultimate Performance (UK Blu) - Very good BBC documentary that looks at the life of director Donald Cammell. So glad Arrow managed to license from the BBC and stick it on their White of the Eye Blu-ray. 7/10

The Argument (UK Blu) - Short film directed by Donald Cammell included on the White of the Eye Blu-ray. Almost crosses into pretentious territory, but it was enjoyable enough and a welcome addition to the set. 6/10

The Men Who Stare At Goats (UK Blu) - Consistently funny and unique. I put this one off for a long time as George Clooney is hit and miss for me, but it was very good. Kevin Spacey spacing out on LSD was hilarious. 7/10

From Here to Eternity (UK Blu) - It was good, but it must have been a slow year for this to win the best picture Oscar. Overly melodramatic at times, but well cast and flows well. A generous 7/10

All Quiet on the Western Front (UK Blu) - When they want to, Universal can deliver on the transfers of their catalogue. 84 years old, and looked fantastic. It holds up well, and although some of the acting is hammy, it was one of few films at the time that wasn't a 'cheery' war movie, and it was unbelievably realistic (I guess... not been in combat!). 9/10

The Breakfast Club (UK Blu) - And.... the other side of Universal. DNR-abusing lunatics. Still, nothing can ruin the fact it is still a great film. John Hughes was a man who has made movies magic for me. 10/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 20 Mar 2014 23:43

All Quiet on the Western Front (UK Blu) - When they want to, Universal can deliver on the transfers of their catalogue. 84 years old, and looked fantastic. It holds up well, and although some of the acting is hammy, it was one of few films at the time that wasn't a 'cheery' war movie, and it was unbelievable realistic (I guess... not been in combat!). 9/10

The acting is truly horrible, totally unrealistic, all chars are stupid and annoying. I only managed to watch 30 min and then quit...

the other side of Universal. DNR-abusing lunatics.

The 40 Year Old Virgin is still haunting me! :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 21 Mar 2014 00:52

Side Effects
Decent thriller by Soderbergh - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 21 Mar 2014 12:06

Samuel_Scott wrote:The Men Who Stare At Goats (UK Blu) - Consistently funny and unique. I put this one off for a long time as George Clooney is hit and miss for me, but it was very good. Kevin Spacey spacing out on LSD was hilarious. 7/10

My problem with some of Clooney's films (and this also applies to MONUMENTS MEN) is the trailers suggest one thing, and the film delivers something else. Both of these films led me to different expectations based on their trailers, and consequently was disappointed. Had I not watched the trailers first which led me to expect action, I suspect I would have enjoyed both more than I did.
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 21 Mar 2014 12:57

My problem with some of Clooney's films (and this also applies to MONUMENTS MEN) is the trailers suggest one thing, and the film delivers something else. Both of these films led me to different expectations based on their trailers, and consequently was disappointed. Had I not watched the trailers first which led me to expect action, I suspect I would have enjoyed both more than I did.

I always get what I expect. Especially from G. Clooney.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Chris_Xa » 21 Mar 2014 13:51

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:I always get what I expect. Especially from G. Clooney.

Performance-wise, he's solid and dependable. My problem is with the aforementioned films' marketing. Guess that's the problem when you watch trailers before the films themselves - often they ruin the film experience. DOUBLE JEOPARDY ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150377 ) is a different (yet another example) of how a trailer ruins a film: the ENTIRE film, with all twists and ending, told in its 2+minute trailer... no point watching the film after that.
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 21 Mar 2014 15:51

My problem is with the aforementioned films' marketing. Guess that's the problem when you watch trailers before the films themselves

I never had such problem.

of how a trailer ruins a film: the ENTIRE film, with all twists and ending, told in its 2+minute trailer... no point watching the film after that.

Wow, never thought of that... :roll:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 21 Mar 2014 21:22

Assault on Wall Street
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 22 Mar 2014 00:31

Shady (UK DVD) - Third Window's latest (out Monday) gets very very dark in the final third. An interesting Japanese film that needs more attention. 8/10

Citizen Kane (UK Blu) - Technically brilliant, but one or two scenes just don't flow as well as the rest of the film. 8/10

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (UK Blu) - My favourite Kubrick film. There is no other war satire like it. 10/10

Uncle Buck (UK Blu) - Hughes never made a crap film in my eyes. John Candy's great and Macauley Culkin's dialogue still holds up no matter how many times I hear it. Another dodgy transfer from Universal though. 8/10

30 Days of Night: Dark Days (UK Blu) - Loved the first film, and the sequel went an obvious route to tie it in, but it just falls short on all counts. The acting isn't as good, the dialogue is lacking, and it just felt like a cash-in. I have to say some of the special effects were very good though (cinder block, shooting of the first vampire). 4/10
Samuel_Scott

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion