What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 04 Apr 2014 23:03

Today:

White Men Can't Jump (UK Blu) - Apparently they can't hear Jimi Hendrix either... The Harrelson/Snipes team-up works better here than in Money Train. Some good humour, and I think the ending is quite fitting, especially when Harrelson remembers the "sometimes when you win you lose" speech from Rosie Perez. 7/10

Grown Ups 2 (Streaming rental) - Not very good at all. Poorly written, horribly constructed, and the one or two minor laughs I did have were due to the younger characters. 3/10

InAPPropriate Comedy (Streaming rental) - I rarely give out 1/10 as I can usually find something worthwhile to at least bump it up to a 2/10 - in fact out of the 3389 films I have seen since 1st January 2010 (when I started keeping track), this is only the 11th to receive this glorious score. Bloody awful. 1/10

Other films I have given 1/10 - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... by/rating/

I also watched the last couple of episodes of Boardwalk Empire: Season 2
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 04 Apr 2014 23:43

Broken Arrow
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 05 Apr 2014 08:09

Samuel_Scott wrote:Not that I know of. I own UK, USA and both HK releases.
:(
Onto recently seen, MARATHON MAN [1976] 3/10: Decent performances by Dustin and Olivier, but average direction and script that is mostly predictable. Very frontal DD5.1 unfortunately, darkish video. Extras include ok Going Distance, Rehearsal Footage; below average Magic Hollywood.
Last edited by Chris_Xa on 05 Apr 2014 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 05 Apr 2014 09:43

Grown Ups 2 (Streaming rental) - Not very good at all. Poorly written, horribly constructed, and the one or two minor laughs I did have were due to the younger characters. 3/10

I've heard it's a really bad deal indeed. Not gonna watch it at all...

MOD EDIT: Remember, this is a family safe forum, so no swearing!
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Chris_Xa » 05 Apr 2014 14:48

Are we allowed to be creative with our curses? Eg "Hope your girlfriend looks like your wife", "turtleneck with ears", "What a waste of a good swimmer", etc? ;)
Chris_Xa

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Apr 2014 14:53

Chris_Xa wrote:

Are we allowed to be creative with our curses? Eg "Hope your girlfriend looks like your wife", "turtleneck with ears", "What a waste of a good swimmer", etc? ;)

Just avoid saying the f bomb, sh word etc. :wink:
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 05 Apr 2014 15:08

There's nothing more hypocritic and ridicules then a "Family Safe" label. I seriously don't get it...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Apr 2014 15:29

We've always been a forum that welcomes any film fan, no matter how old. One of the previous staff members was only 13 when he joined. If there is a curse word in a film title, then so be it, but there's no need for cursing otherwise.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 05 Apr 2014 15:32

but there's no need for cursing otherwise.

Sometimes one can express himself only by cursing. :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Apr 2014 15:33

It can help. :wink:
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 05 Apr 2014 20:16

The Legend of Hercules
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Apr 2014 23:08

Today:

The Call Centre: Series 1 (UK DVD) - Love him or hate him, call centre boss Nev Wilshere is a character not too disimilar to a real life David Brent. 6/10

The Story of Yonosuke (UK Blu) - The 160 minute run time zooms past. Great cast, and the ending is perfect. 8/10

Friday the 13th Part 2 (USA Blu) - Not a bad sequel. Steve Miner follows the tried and tested method of fun death scenes, but it never really sets itself up as anything other than a plain old sequel. 6/10

Casting Couch (NowTV) - This could actually be the world's greatest satire. Maybe the filmmakers are actually doing what they say in the plot - making a movie just to meet good looking girls? Either that, or they are oblivious to the fact this is a steaming pile of crap. 2/10

Heavyweights (NowTV) - I spotted a few 90s Disney child stars in this enjoyable but formulaic summer camp movie. Ben Stiller was quite funny, and it was good to see Jerry Stiller in a little cameo. 6/10

Going to aim for zero sleep and watch all 8 episodes of The Smoke now. :lol:
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 06 Apr 2014 13:26

Game of Thrones: Season 2 (French Blu)
Rewatching of this second season, that takes things one step higher, especially (but not only) with the spectacular "Blackwater" - 8/10

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (UK Blu)
Not a big fan of this early Burton movie, Pee-wee is quite unnerving even if things tend to get better as the movie goes on. Some good moments though! - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 06 Apr 2014 22:15

Disconnect
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Apr 2014 23:05

The Smoke: Season 1 - It's been 12 years since London's Burning left our screens, but IMO, this is a worthy replacement. 8/10

Repo Men (UK Blu) - Bit slow to start, but turns into a capable chase thriller, with some great ideas - though never really fulfils them to their full potential. 6/10

The Lincoln Lawyer (UK Blu) - Matthew MCCcCCcCCoudjndnnaythey, has really stepped up the last few years, and has managed to stop the rom-com typecast and stood his ground a as a serious actor. The supporting cast are great here also, especially the always underrated William H. Macy. 8/10

Drag Me to Hell (UK Blu) - Sam Raimi at his best. I love his comic style of horror, and even though I have a hatred for Justin Long, he was well cast here. Alison Lohman was great as always, and really should get more big roles. One of my favourites of 2009. 9/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 06 Apr 2014 23:42

Drag Me to Hell (UK Blu) - Sam Raimi at his best. I love his comic style of horror, and even though I have a hatred for Justin Long, he was well cast here. Alison Lohman was great as always, and really should get more big roles. One of my favourites of 2009. 9/10

Why people like this one? It's one bad movie. Boring, with bad dialogue, and poor acting of course. 2/10
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Apr 2014 23:47

Great special effects and a manipulation of all the horrors we get these days. In the top 10 horror films of the last twenty years IMO.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Chris_Xa » 07 Apr 2014 05:30

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:

Why people like this one? It's one bad movie. Boring, with bad dialogue, and poor acting of course. 2/10

3.5/10 from me. True it's not anywhere near the best films ever made, but for some reason it is still memorable even after 4 years. Not something I can say for many films, even ones I've watched more recently. Plus, all scores are subjective. For example I hated SHARKNADO (I'd echo Jim's above comment for this), but it seems enough people liked it to generate a sequel (or 2?)... It's ALL subjective and personal, and we all get different things from the films and entertainments we experience.

What are some of your best films Jim, if I may?
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 07 Apr 2014 09:47

Great special effects and a manipulation of all the horrors we get these days. In the top 10 horror films of the last twenty years IMO.

:roll:

To be honest, I never thought of that. Why? Coz I watched so many movies in my life, you won't believe it. :lol:

SHARKNADO

A true masterpiece. :-D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Chris_Xa » 07 Apr 2014 11:02

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:

To be honest, I never thought of that. Why? Coz I watched so many movies in my life, you won't believe it. :lol:

Surely you must have some "benchmarks" though. Something to the effect of "...this is not as good as that...", where this could be any film we're currently discussing (eg Drag Me to Hell), and that could be a film you're thinking is so much better. So for example, if you find Drag Me To Hell so poor, what for you is a much better example - if I may ask?
For me, the original Ring (japanese) film is one of the best horror/terror films, but if we're talking more comedic horror (which I think Drag belongs to), Army of Darkness is amongst the best of that genre.
Chris_Xa

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion