What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 13 Apr 2014 14:36

Chris_Xa wrote:Sculder, what are your thoughts on the stuff you're watching (that you post here)?

The Double (2011) had great potential but unfortunately could not be realized in final product.

The Fighter - Good story, good cast and good director = good film

And this morning watched Hotel Transylvania from TV on backround. Looked ok maybe one day give it a proper look.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 13 Apr 2014 17:38

Sculder wrote:The Fighter - Good story, good cast and good director = good film.
...Hotel Transylvania from TV on backround. Looked ok maybe one day give it a proper look.
FIGHTER was quite decent... think I gave it around 6.5-7/10, for the same reasons you mentioned. As for HOTEL, enjoyed the setting and premise - but the Disney-esque "family" message/moral felt forced and thus marred it for me; too kiddy-friendly and not quite adventurous with its scope/potential (think it was targeted at older kids/starting teenagers).
Chris_Xa

Postby Noor_Razzak » 13 Apr 2014 18:00

Noor_Razzak wrote:The Warriors

Chris_Xa wrote:Is that the Ken Wahl (or late70's) one? Still have not seen it, and (if it's the one I'm thinking of) should I watch the DC?

The Walter Hill movie from 1979, I'd say this is one of the instances where the Theatrical Cut is better, the DC ruins the movie with unnecessary comic-book panel style freezes and wipes, not sure why he did that but it's stupid.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 13 Apr 2014 19:59

Why cheapest ?

Well, I meant affordable. Surely you can get the top model for ~3$. :-D I mean the choice is yours. I personally have like 20 players already. Plus those old HD-DVD ones.

wonder if the ps4 or xOne (which cost less) are region-free blu players?

No.

PS3 is one of the best bluray players

It's the first time I'm hearing that.

only the PS3 allows me to get all the blu specs that Rewind asks for (except for the zone and easter eggs)

PC with PowerDVD 13 is the best choice for that.

As for Oppo... cheapest here costs ~U$900 with the conversion kit.

You can get it way cheaper.

The Double (2011) had great potential but unfortunately could not be realized in final product.

The plot itself is a joke, can't take it seriously at all. Gere was great though.

The Fighter - Good story, good cast and good director = good film

Based on real events and people. It's a very valuable piece of cinema, no arguments there. Great production and cast performace is top notch.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 13 Apr 2014 21:05

Need for Speed - Chases and races were well done and fun but the overall story could of been done better.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 13 Apr 2014 23:11

27 Dresses (UK Blu) - Not as bad as it should be, mainly thanks to Judy Greer. It's a pretty average movie and good for the genre. 6/10

Film 250 of 2014
The Others (UK Blu) - Love this film. Nicole Kidman was perfect for the role, and I think it built up tension extremely well. 9/10

Unique film 3400 since 1st January 2010 (Rewatches do not count towards this number)
American Pie: The Book of Love (UK DVD) - As expected, a below-par teen-comedy sequel which has some reasonably funny crude moments. 4/10

Lake Placid 2 (UK DVD) - Low budget creature features are one of my favourite sub-genres, but even in comparison to some of the low-end ones, the CGI is abysmal. Still a couple of funny moments kept it chugging along with the dialogue, and the cast isn't too bad. There are certainly worse in the genre available. 4/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 14 Apr 2014 01:28

Game of Thrones: Season 3 (French Blu)
First watching of this season: I still think this series is a bit slow, and this is partly due to the fact that we follow the destiny of so many characters, but the awesome ninth episode takes it all. - 8/10

Dirty Wars (TV)
Good documentary about US black ops - 7/10

The Call (TV)
Nothing special about this one, but rather efficient - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 14 Apr 2014 14:37

Sculder wrote:Need for Speed - Chases and races were well done and fun but the overall story could of been done better.
Haven't seen it because of the negative press... a few questions though: 1) Cinema or wait for the blu? 2) Someone said if they used the story from NFS The Run (game), or perhaps a CANNONBALL RUN update, would have been much better - what do you think?

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
PS3 is one of the best bluray players
It's the first time I'm hearing that.
Don't know of any other players that can be updated to keep current with newer technologies.

only the PS3 allows me to get all the blu specs that Rewind asks for (except for the zone and easter eggs)
PC with PowerDVD 13 is the best choice for that.
Don't have a pc bd drive, else would agree with you.

As for Oppo... cheapest here costs ~U$900 with the conversion kit.
You can get it way cheaper.
Well could get it for free perhaps, but that would also get me into trouble. Not worth THAT cost.

Watched THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (finally after all these years), 4.25/10: Ok direction with a somewhat "neat" ending and script, perhaps modeled on Anna Wintour (THE SEPTEMBER ISSUE); good cast chemistry, quite ok costume design and overall acting. Not a bad film, but does not live up to the hype upon its cinematic release. Extras include below average commentary (found the director somewhat rude interrupting others' comments); average Gag reel, trivia track; unnecessary deleted scenes with below average commentary.

FAME (1980, 134min) 3.75/10: The template for other audition/art-school films? The editing's episodic/snippets nature makes it somewhat unfulfilling; wonder if it took bits from the TV series, or if the series followed. Well performed otherwise, decent direction and script.
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 14 Apr 2014 14:58

Well could get it for free perhaps, but that would also get me into trouble. Not worth THAT cost.

Are you talking about stealing stuff? :lol: You're right, it aint worth it. :-D

Don't know of any other players that can be updated to keep current with newer technologies.

Any high-end model of Marantz, Denon, Primea, Oppo, Sony or Harmann-Kardon.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Chris_Xa » 14 Apr 2014 15:32

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
Any high-end model of Marantz, Denon, Primea, Oppo, Sony or Harmann-Kardon.
Stand corrected then. :) Are they updated via the net directly, or the usual PC-like "download flash-bios-rom and install thru a USB"?
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 14 Apr 2014 21:37

Are they updated via the net directly, or the usual PC-like "download flash-bios-rom and install thru a USB"?

I think directly, though I never tryed myself.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 14 Apr 2014 22:11

Chris_Xa wrote:
Sculder wrote:Need for Speed - Chases and races were well done and fun but the overall story could of been done better.
Haven't seen it because of the negative press... a few questions though: 1) Cinema or wait for the blu? 2) Someone said if they used the story from NFS The Run (game), or perhaps a CANNONBALL RUN update, would have been much better - what do you think?

1) If you like racing / chase movies you may like it, where and how you want to see it (if at all) you must decide for yourself. 2) I dont have NFS The Run (my brother maybe has it) so not familiar with its storyline. And I know what I didn`t like about this movie but Im not gona write about it here cos it was mostly about the ending so would not want to ruin the film for others who have not seen it.

And yesterday:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Thor: The Dark World

Well made comic book movies.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 14 Apr 2014 23:19

I heard the 3D in Need for Speed is pretty good. I'll hopefully give it a watch one day.

Today:

Mrs Doubtfire (UK Blu) - A classic from my childhood. Absolutely love it, and even though it's long for a family film at over two hours, it flies by. 8/10

Solomon Kane (UK Blu) - Surprisingly dark, some inconsistent CGI (sometimes excellent, others awful), and a middling story held up by a surprisingly good cast. 6/10

Beowulf (UK Blu) - It's kind of dated pretty quickly, but still enjoyable enough for a watch. 6/10

Cape Fear (UK Blu) - Original version with Mitchum and Peck. Really like this one - tense, dramatic, and perfectly cast. 9/10

Our Idiot Brother (NowTV) - Funny, but a little too fluffy and loose. Rudd is great though, and I've always had a soft spot for Zooey Deschanel. 7/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 15 Apr 2014 01:12

Exit (TV)
Decent thriller with Mads Mikkelsen - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 15 Apr 2014 13:09

Sculder wrote:...NFS...1) If you like racing / chase movies you may like it, where and how you want to see it (if at all) you must decide for yourself. 2) I dont have NFS The Run (my brother maybe has it) so not familiar with its storyline. And I know what I didn`t like about this movie but Im not gona write about it here cos it was mostly about the ending so would not want to ruin the film for others who have not seen it.
And yesterday: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor: The Dark World...
* Re NFS, I wonder if I'll miss out on anything by watching it on a large TV at home. Eg many of the comicbook films for example (when not watching them in 3D) did not give me any additional enjoyment by watching them on the cinema. However, GRAVITY was definitely worth the cinema-trip; hence my question, as to whether it's best enjoyed on cinema, or if a big screen and good sound system at home is just as good. This question also applies to CapAmerica2 (is its 3D any good, if you saw it?).
* Re Thor2, I'm awaiting the extended version. Have not seen the theatrical (and also wonder if I missed out on any good 3D also), but read there were quite a few plot-points that were skimmed over or left unresolved. Did you think that too, after watching the film?

* Beowulf... was not impressed by the theatrical, but heard there's an extended or DC so will try it again.
* Cape Fear - have not seen either of them (on my list).
* Our Idiot Brother... keep forgetting whether I've watched it, as I confuse it with a couple of other films he made around that time. If I have, then obviously it did not make much of an impression.
* Doubtfire definitely one of the "keeper" comedies. Wonder how good the extras are though.

Speaking of extras (for anyone interested), watched those from FAME (1980) and 127 HOURS:
* FAME: On Location was almost EPK; Field Trip was ok, as was commentary; Interviews & trailer were good.
* 127: average commentary, Extraordinary View, trailer, Franco In Conversation (wow, pleasantly surprised to find it still there in BD Live); unnecessary deleted scenes except alternate ending which should have remained in film; good Search Rescue (tells the story from "the other side); very good God Of Love short (unsure why it's on the blu though).
Chris_Xa

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Apr 2014 13:37

Chris_Xa wrote:* Cape Fear - have not seen either of them (on my list).

I would highly recommend both, though it has been some years (at least ten?) since I last saw the De Niro version, but that focused a little more on the family (Juliette Lewis for example).

* Our Idiot Brother... keep forgetting whether I've watched it, as I confuse it with a couple of other films he made around that time. If I have, then obviously it did not make much of an impression.

Possibly quite easy to confuse with Wanderlust with regards to the tone. I really dug that as well though.

* Doubtfire definitely one of the "keeper" comedies. Wonder how good the extras are though.

Noor gave the extras a rare A+ in his review: http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=442

The short film in the 127 Hours is I think only there because it was a success at the Oscars.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Chris_Xa » 15 Apr 2014 16:14

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Chris_Xa wrote:* Cape Fear - have not seen either of them (on my list).
would highly recommend both, though it has been some years (at least ten?) since I last saw the De Niro version, but that focused a little more on the family (Juliette Lewis for example).
Given I prefer to generally watch the better film 2nd (so I can at least have some enjoyment with the lesser film), which should I watch first?

Talking of remakes and originals, which DEATH AT A FUNERAL should I watch first (again, lesser film preferred first)?

Our Idiot Brother... keep forgetting whether I've watched it, as I confuse it with a couple of other films he made around that time. If I have, then obviously it did not make much of an impression.
Possibly quite easy to confuse with Wanderlust with regards to the tone. I really dug that as well though.
Have not heard of Wanderlust before - will look into it, thanks. Might be thinking of something else.

Just watched WALKING DEAD 205... without spoiling anything, they're doing well to keep the S2 mystery going. And I like those cliffhanger episode endings. :)
Chris_Xa

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Apr 2014 16:26

For Cape Fear, watch the original first IMO.

Can't advise on Death at a Funeral, sorry.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 15 Apr 2014 16:32

Can't advise on Death at a Funeral, sorry.

Both movies are great!
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 15 Apr 2014 16:56

Chris_Xa wrote:
Sculder wrote:...NFS...1) If you like racing / chase movies you may like it, where and how you want to see it (if at all) you must decide for yourself. 2) I dont have NFS The Run (my brother maybe has it) so not familiar with its storyline. And I know what I didn`t like about this movie but Im not gona write about it here cos it was mostly about the ending so would not want to ruin the film for others who have not seen it.
And yesterday: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Thor: The Dark World...
* Re NFS, I wonder if I'll miss out on anything by watching it on a large TV at home. Eg many of the comicbook films for example (when not watching them in 3D) did not give me any additional enjoyment by watching them on the cinema. However, GRAVITY was definitely worth the cinema-trip; hence my question, as to whether it's best enjoyed on cinema, or if a big screen and good sound system at home is just as good. This question also applies to CapAmerica2 (is its 3D any good, if you saw it?).

All of them were 2D theatrical versions. Cant comment on 3D.

Chris_Xa wrote:* Re Thor2, I'm awaiting the extended version. Have not seen the theatrical (and also wonder if I missed out on any good 3D also), but read there were quite a few plot-points that were skimmed over or left unresolved. Did you think that too, after watching the film?

Yes I do. It will be a long wait for DC, but I hope it will be done one day and I hope it would have more than just the kids and Malekith stuff that were mentioned in interviews.

Today:
Joe
Winter's Bone
The Master
The Ledge
Armistice (aka Warhouse)
Non-Stop
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion