What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Apr 2014 22:54

The Goonies (UK Blu) - My fave film of all time. It gets multiple viewings a year. 10/10

Bomb Girls: Season 2 (UK DVD) - Shame it got cancelled after this season just as it was starting to rise above an average wartime melodrama with the spying. 6/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Davy_Lee » 16 Apr 2014 06:27

THE VINDICATOR (Second viewing, YouTube) - 6/10

Watched it on video in '86 or '87. Vaguely remember this as one of those B-movies of the 80s. The only thing that's cool is the poster. No popular stars in it. A mishmash of horror and sci-fi that tries to create something "unique". The result is a poor man's Frankenstein :(
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 17 Apr 2014 00:44, edited 2 times in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Apr 2014 22:35

The Break-Up (UK DVD) - Not a bad rom-com. Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau make it worthwhile, whilst for Aniston, it's pretty standard stuff. 6/10

Mars Attacks! (UK Blu) - I'm not a fan of Burton, but I really enjoy this one. Unsurprising that most Burton fans don't like it then really. 7/10

Zoolander (UK DVD) - One or two small laughs, but never understood why people like this one. 3/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Apr 2014 22:36

The Spectacular Now - It wasn`t bad but I thought it would be something totally different from the clips I had seen on late night talk shows.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 17 Apr 2014 18:38

Samuel_Scott wrote:The Goonies (UK Blu) - My fave film of all time. It gets multiple viewings a year...
Enjoyed it when I saw it in my teens (and the Cyndi music video helped with the fun), but when I watched it again a few years ago I realised how much it is (for me) a film of its time, VERY much targeted toward children and teens at most. Has not stood the test of time for me: 3/10.

Mars Attacks! (UK Blu) - I'm not a fan of Burton, but I really enjoy this one. Unsurprising that most Burton fans don't like it then really...
Enjoyed its madcap humour and take on the Alien invasion genre; who's said they must all be deadly serious, and not perhaps deadly psychotic fun? Something I can watch again if I stumble across it, and being a Burton fan it's not too disimilar from his other films: if you injected a gothic feel/atmosphere, and perhaps supernatural instead of alien elements... it's classic Burton; with that reasoning, almost reminds me of BEETLEJUICE elements.

Zoolander (UK DVD) - One or two small laughs, but never understood why people like this one.
Been meaning to see it, but haven't gotten around to it yet - probably due to sentiments and criticism like this. Hasn't helped that I've seen Stiller and Wilson together in other things, and the pairing/performances did not ignite any desire to see this.

Recent viewings:
* DAMAGES (season 5): Quite a decent series if you like psychological and legal maneuverings and manipulations, though not as strong as the previous seasons. Not a bad conclusion, but the last couple of scenes left me unimpressed with some not-hugely-important questions left unanswered; thus a somewhat ignominious end to the series for me.
* MADELINE [1998] 2.75/10: Light entertainment aimed at young children (especially girls) based on the books, of (loosely connected) litlle girls' shenanigans. Mostly miscast; average unimaginative direction and with a few too many threads, and whose ending is too neat and somewhat abrupt; not bad script, but whose first third almost copies the (included on DVD) Jolly Frolics cartoon.

Onto other things:
* http://astortheatreblog.wordpress.com if anyone feels like reading some cinema-related musings.
* HAVE A GOOD EASTER (or hopefully holiday/break) EVERYONE.
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Samuel_Scott » 17 Apr 2014 21:06

Chris_Xa wrote: if you injected a gothic feel/atmosphere, and perhaps supernatural instead of alien elements... it's classic Burton; with that reasoning, almost reminds me of BEETLEJUICE elements.

My biggest problem with Burton, is he thinks he is more dark/gothic than he actually is. He just comes across as a bit of a prat IMO, and he's wasting Helena Bonham Carter's talents whilst making Johnny Depp extremely unlikeable for me.

Hasn't helped that I've seen Stiller and Wilson together in other things, and the pairing/performances did not ignite any desire to see this.

I find the pairing hit and miss. Both are decent comedy actors, but I do prefer Wilson, and would love him to reteam with Jackie Chan for another Shanghai movie.

DAMAGES (season 5): Quite a decent series if you like psychological and legal maneuverings and manipulations, though not as strong as the previous seasons. Not a bad conclusion, but the last couple of scenes left me unimpressed with some not-hugely-important questions left unanswered; thus a somewhat ignominious end to the series for me.

I have season 1 in the too watch pile. Maybe one day...

MADELINE [1998] 2.75/10: Light entertainment aimed at young children (especially girls) based on the books, of (loosely connected) litlle girls' shenanigans. Mostly miscast; average unimaginative direction and with a few too many threads, and whose ending is too neat and somewhat abrupt; not bad script, but whose first third almost copies the (included on DVD) Jolly Frolics cartoon.

I was surprised how quietly it passed through theatres really. I thought the character had a bigger following than what the figures showed. I think I have seen this, but can't remember. Certainly not in the last 5 years anyway.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 17 Apr 2014 21:32

Watched older movies today:
The Winner (aka Pit Stop) (1969)
Sorcerer (1977)
The Gumball Rally (1976)
Tobruk (1967)
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 17 Apr 2014 21:52

Sculder wrote:The Winner (aka Pit Stop) (1969)

UK Blu? What did you think? I'm hoping we get even more Jack Hill in the very near future.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 17 Apr 2014 23:09

My own Thursday watches:

Die Hard (UK Blu) - It's Die Hard. 10/10

Here Comes the Boom (NowTV) - Seen before, and it's funnier than it has any right to be. Another in the guilty pleasure pile. 7/10

Struck by Lightning (NowTV) - Had never heard of it but was attracted by the cast of Rebel Wilson, Sarah Hyland, Allison Janney and Christina Hendricks. Not a bad script from Glee actor Chris Colfer, but too cliched. 5/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 18 Apr 2014 09:37

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Sculder wrote:The Winner (aka Pit Stop) (1969)

UK Blu? What did you think? I'm hoping we get even more Jack Hill in the very near future.

I watched it at friends place and not sure from what medium he played it from. It had the "The Winner" title, imdb says its the UK title for it, but Arrow blu uses "Pit Stop" (on cases at least). I had high hopes and it was sadly a bit of a let down for me. I must say I enjoyed other movies from my yesterdays list much more.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 18 Apr 2014 13:43

The Way Way Back (Netflix) - great little film with terrific performances from all involved, Sam Rockwell was a stand out, 8/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 18 Apr 2014 22:51

Cheaper by the Dozen (Steve Martin version) (NowTV) - Enjoyable easy-viewing family movie to fritter away an afternoon. 6/10

Cheaper by the Dozen 2 (NowTV) - Same as above. 6/10

Stranded (UK Blu) - Does an okay job trying to build the atmosphere, but it's boring throughout and Christian Slater just shouts every single line. 4/10

Ride Along (streamed rental) - I'm a fan of low-brow buddy cop movies, but Kevin Hart is seriously unlikeable. Ice Cube sure as hell can't save it. Still, one or two funny moments, and the supporting cast weren't all bad. 4/10

I'm also working through the Shetland: Series 1 and 2 boxset which only actually has 4 episodes (series 1 was one episode, series 2 was 3). One more episode to go.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Chris_Xa » 19 Apr 2014 01:24

Samuel_Scott wrote:Die Hard (UK Blu) - It's Die Hard. 10/10
Can't disagree it is one of the best ever action films; not a 10, but quite high nonetheless. Re the BLU, should I look to upgrade my SE DVD, or await a better blu remaster (like they did with Robocop recently)?

Viewed Shiki (anime, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2016670 ) on blu. One of the better horror films I've seen of late, and has much poignancy that is sometimes lacking in this genre; if you're thinking of watching it, stay away from any trailers or reading anything about it as some of the fun came from not knowing exactly what I was watching, except it was something gothic. Good music, especially the menu (of the unsettling type, and reminded me of TWIN PEAKS); decent HD animation; almost barebone (no extras except 4 average commentaries). Try the first couple of episodes; if they don't grab you, then perhaps it's not for you - but go for the Japanese subbed versions and avoid the English dubs, as I found the voices unconvincing for the characters they were voicing. Enjoyed it much, and quite well written except for a couple of I-don't-get-it character-motivations (but perhaps being unpredictable human nature, it could occur in reality anyway). Fans of horror will definitely enjoy this though, as well as anyone who wants something more than popcorn entertainment (this is definitely NOT a popcorn film). Difficult to score a series, but if I had to I might give it a 8/10 overall. Definitely one of the better anime out there.
NOTE: Bear in mind this is a series of 24 episodes, with the last 5 being:
- e20 "Twentieth Mourning"
- e20.5 "Twentieth Mourning And Offense"
- e21 "Twenty-First Slaughter"
- e21.5 "Twenty-First Slaughter And Offense"
- e22 "The Final Hunt"
This is important, given the order they must be viewed. Think the creators went back and created e20.5 & 21.5 (after e22) to add characterisation & story. Will be submitting the complete specs to Rewind once one more release arrives.
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 19 Apr 2014 01:57

House of Cards: Season 2 (TV)
Great follow-up for this series, Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are perfect, the show offers many twists and an displays an interesting representation of political games - 8/10

Mindscape (TV)
Interesting thriller, but a bit too classic to deserve better - 6/10

Lethal Weapon (UK Blu)
I hadn't rewatched this for a very long time : this has aged a little bit, and the start is a bit slow, but it gets better and better... I will rewatch the next episodes, but IIRC this is the best - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 19 Apr 2014 08:01

The Muppets
Texas Chainsaw (2013)
My Name is Nobody
They Call Me Trinity
A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 19 Apr 2014 10:13

Lethal Weapon (UK Blu)
I hadn't rewatched this for a very long time : this has aged a little bit, and the start is a bit slow, but it gets better and better... I will rewatch the next episodes, but IIRC this is the best - 8/10

My fav is the third part and the 4th is the worst (plain stupid). 3->2->1->4 in this order :-D

Die Hard (UK Blu) - It's Die Hard. 10/10

Never liked it much. My order: 3->4->2->1->5 (utter garbage, no one even talks about it)

Stranded (UK Blu) - Does an okay job trying to build the atmosphere, but it's boring throughout and Christian Slater just shouts every single line. 4/10

I'm about to watch it. It's really that bad?
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 19 Apr 2014 11:10

It's interesting but every element is poorly utilised. It's just boring.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Chris_Xa » 19 Apr 2014 12:57

Vincent_Bouche wrote:Lethal Weapon (UK Blu)
I'm guessing this is still the normal/theatrical version, as opposed to the DC with the deleted scenes included within the film?
Chris_Xa

Postby Samuel_Scott » 19 Apr 2014 13:11

Director's cuts aren't yet available on Blu-ray.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 19 Apr 2014 13:16

I'm guessing this is still the normal/theatrical version, as opposed to the DC with the deleted scenes included within the film?

That's right, for reason beyond any comprehension, they released only Theatrical Cut.

Director's cuts aren't yet available on Blu-ray.

But it will be.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion