What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Davy_Lee » 23 Apr 2014 12:49

GAME FOR VULTURES (First viewing, Spanish dvd) - 7/10

Despite its confusing sub-plots, this political thriller is quite interesting and entertaining - about the conflicts between the white Rhodesian settlers against the native black freedom fighters. The other plus point is the score, which is very 70's.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 24 Apr 2014 00:09

Mud (TV)
Great performance by all actors, especially but not only Matthew McConaughey, good moving story that never crosses the line, always the right tone - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 24 Apr 2014 01:20

Vincent_Bouche wrote:Mud (TV)
Great performance by all actors, especially but not only Matthew McConaughey, good moving story that never crosses the line, always the right tone - 8/10

Totally loved this movie.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 24 Apr 2014 22:19

Had a John Cusack day:

Hot Pursuit
The Frozen Ground
One Crazy Summer
The Sure Thing
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 26 Apr 2014 03:19

CONQUEST (First viewing, German dvd) - 6.5/10

This is the kind of film which, once the ending credits roll, leaves you wondering "What on earth have I just watched?"

Lucio Fulci's CONQUEST is a sword-and-sorcery fantasy adventure that plays like an arty and surrealistic warrior-on-a-quest film. If you watch this, like it or not, you'll witness:

1. a fog-shrouded earth, or to put it bluntly - scenes that are too hazy to be viewed by the normal eyes..
2. savage Wookie-like (remember Chewbacca of Star Wars) dogmen that growl and talk at the same time.
3. a tribe of cave people with white-washed faces and bodies.
4. decaying white zombies that dwell in a foggy swamp and attack unwary travelers.
5. talking monkey-like creatures with shiny eyes wrapped up in embalmed white shrouds.
6. a magical flying bow that shoots multiple laser-illuminated arrows at different directions.
7. a powerful sorcerer dressed in a medieval iron battle armour and helmet who has the ability to impersonate his foes and change himself into a wolf.
8. a topless sorceress wearing a golden mask and an underwear protected by mini horns who gets turned on by pythons, and who strengthens her magical powers by gurgling chants on a hilltop at dawn.

and not to miss -

9. a long-haired wandering warrior named Mace who is hell bent on revenge!

It's not a film for the mainstream audience. Watch it if you have a preference for B-movies of the 80's. It's enjoyably bad :lol:

The German dvd includes the soundtrack on a cd. Strangely, the most compelling part of the film is this boisterous, repetitive score courtesy of Claudio Simonetti :roll:
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 27 Apr 2014 12:39, edited 3 times in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Chris_Xa » 26 Apr 2014 08:21

Samuel_Scott wrote:Max Payne (UK Blu) - Some good visuals, and I like Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis, but the story was lacklustre. 5/10
Very disappointed with it; may have given it a 3 (or less)/10.

Vincent_Bouche wrote:The Attack (TV) Great movie about a famous arab surgeon working in Israel and discovering his wife is involved in an attack - 7/10.
Think I also gave it the same score when I watched it at the film festival. Decent mystery, but enjoyed its emphasis on the twin cultural aspects. Also recommended.

Sculder wrote:Had a John Cusack day:
Have you seen what I consider to be a couple of his best - GROSSE POINT BLANC and HIGH FIDELITY ?

Davy_Lee wrote:CONQUEST (First viewing, German dvd) - 6.5/10.....
Interesting and quite amusing mini-review... Hadn't heard of it before now, but surely it's not as bad as SHARKNADO? :)

Watched the entire CADFAEL series. 13 long episodes with average acting, but uninvolving and sometimes tedious whodunnit mysteries. The only unique factor is its setting (appx 1200's England), and though one may learn something of life in those times, the time spent watching this (1000min) could be instead given to better and more involving detective dramas. Can't remember THE NAME OF THE ROSE, but hope it's better than this.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (blu) extras: average commentary, Flash Time Travel, Favorite Villain Flash Bad Guys; ok Flashpoint #1 digital comic excerpt. Forgot to mention re the film: In the tradition of Marvel films, there's a very short scene after the end credits.
Last edited by Chris_Xa on 26 Apr 2014 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Noor_Razzak » 26 Apr 2014 08:39

House (1977) - this is one batsh*t crazy movie, so much unintentional comedy for a horror film, saw it at a late night screening tonight in a theatre - really the only way to see this movie, as a movie 2/10 but as an experience with the right crowd getting into it a 10/10. Might actually consider picking up the Criterion release of this.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 26 Apr 2014 11:53

LOLA VERSUS 5/10: Ok performances and script averagely directed, of another NY angst tale.

FRANCES HA 5/10: French New Wave meets Woody Allen. Above average direction and script.
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 26 Apr 2014 13:54

The Body [El Cuerpo] (TV)
Really good "cat and mouse" Spanish thriller, with a quite unexpected ending :o - 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 26 Apr 2014 20:04

Chris_Xa wrote:
Sculder wrote:Had a John Cusack day:
Have you seen what I consider to be a couple of his best - GROSSE POINT BLANC and HIGH FIDELITY ?

Yes I have.

Yesterday and today:

Fast & Furious
Fast Five
Furious 6
The Last Boy Scout
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 27 Apr 2014 04:07

BORDERLINE (First viewing, Spanish dvd) - 7/10

Don't expect to see Chuck murder men by request, shoot rapists or punks, grow water melons or spring a businessman from a Mexican prison. He's not a professional hitman, a vengeful vigilante, a successful farmer or a freelance pilot. This time Charles Bronson is Jeb Maynard, a tough and experienced chief border patrol officer investigating the cold-blooded murder of one of his men who is just two weeks away from retirement.

With the aid of a newly transferred young officer from New York, Maynard tracks down the ruthless killer who is seemingly as elusive as the masterminds behind the crime.

BORDERLINE, a lesser known and often forgotten Bronson's film, plays like a pilot episode of a TV series. Not much tension is delivered and not much action either, but this crime drama keeps viewers, especially fans, interested. Unfortunately, the distinctively catchy music during the opening credits is underplayed, which renders some key scenes emotionally bland.

Compared with other Bronson's films - Cold Sweat, White Buffalo, Love and Bullets - which are rather disappointing, BORDERLINE quite delivers the goods. It's always a pleasure for Bronson's fans to see him take up a different role: here we see more of his acting and charisma while less of his machismo (Not saying that this side of Bronson's acting style is unwelcomed) :)

During his long acting career, Charles Bronson only had several memorable films which made him an iconic action star. BORDERLINE is certainly not one of them. For his fans, this minor entry is worthy of adding into their collection regardless.

Davy_Lee

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 27 Apr 2014 12:58

Oblivion (TV)
Mixed up bag of many things already seen elsewhere, pretty unrealistic, but quite efficient - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 27 Apr 2014 22:48

Last Man Standing
Hot Chili
Heaven Help Us
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 28 Apr 2014 01:36

Batman (UK Blu)
A bit outdated, especially compared to the recent trilogy, but still much to enjoy! - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 28 Apr 2014 12:14

Vincent_Bouche wrote:Oblivion (TV) Mixed up bag of many things already seen elsewhere, pretty unrealistic, but quite efficient - 6/10
Generally agreed, also 6/10. Good cgi, direction and script based on the interesting premise of the graphic novel; production design looks ok but does not need a cinematic screen; somewhat let down by a lengthy first half that should have been edited a little, to improve pacing. References INDEPENDENCE DAY. Not as cliched nor as derivative as some think, nor a romantic action film.

Vincent_Bouche wrote:Batman (UK Blu) A bit outdated, especially compared to the recent trilogy, but still much to enjoy! - 8/10
Agreed again, but don't find it outdated; prefer to think of it as "another telling/interpretation" of the tale. Much like the various revisions of the DC animated shows, where each has a variably different bent to the stories. But I also enjoyed #2 (Returns) better than the first for the more psychological aspects. Still, Batman 1989 is a great popcorn flick - up there with Superman 1 & 2.

However, disliked #3 (Forever) & #4 (& Robin): too cartoony for a live action film, geared more toward teenagers. And the biggest flaw of all: Batman smiled (#3 - sacrilege for the Dark Knight)! The only pluses: Kilmer (#3) plays the best "Bruce Wayne" of all, and Arnold makes a memorable and entertaining Mr Freeze (#4). Keaton for me plays the best Batman, but the Nolan trilogy are the best Batman films.

Am worried about Affleck playing Batman - I just don't see him for that role at all, and am afraid he may ruin it. Hope they recast him. Wonder though (if Ben does play the role) - will he be the only actor to play in both the Marvel and DC live-action-film universes?
Chris_Xa

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 28 Apr 2014 23:11

Chris_Xa wrote:
Vincent_Bouche wrote:Batman (UK Blu) A bit outdated, especially compared to the recent trilogy, but still much to enjoy! - 8/10
Agreed again, but don't find it outdated; prefer to think of it as "another telling/interpretation" of the tale. Much like the various revisions of the DC animated shows, where each has a variably different bent to the stories. But I also enjoyed #2 (Returns) better than the first for the more psychological aspects. Still, Batman 1989 is a great popcorn flick - up there with Superman 1 & 2.

Rewatching of second episode is scheduled soon!

Mafiosa: Season 5 (TV)
Among the best, and probably the best, season of this French series about corsican mob, and in which the godfather is a godmother - 8/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 29 Apr 2014 03:15

Vincent_Bouche wrote:Mafiosa: Season 5 (TV) Among the best, and probably the best, season of this French series about corsican mob, and in which the godfather is a godmother
One of the most memorable Mafia series I've seen is The Octopus (La piovra, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086779 , and its follow-ons obviously). Sure there's much melodrama there, but I can't remember many Italian films etc that don't have melodrama (part and parcel of the culture?)... Haven't watched the entire series and is on my to-finish-watching list, if I can find the whole lot.
Chris_Xa

Postby Davy_Lee » 29 Apr 2014 07:57

ZONE TROOPERS (First viewing, YouTube) - 7/10

I've known about ZONE TROOPERS since the 80's but wasn't interested in renting it.

This turned out to be a fun little B-movie blending pulp sci-fi, WW II and comedy into one. You get to see battle scenes between the American G.I. and the Germans accompanied by big band music :o

Another one of those wacky Empire Pictures productions which has a 50's comic-book vibe to it.
For B-movie aficionados only :wink:

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 30 Apr 2014 06:00

M (First viewing, YouTube) - 9/10

I have been on the fence about buying the blu-ray because this is an early sound film which, I thought, should have serious flaws in its sound design. I was wrong!

I like silent films but not early talkies, which is the reason why I haven't added M into my collection. Granted, M doesn't have any musical score to accompany the scenes, which I have always thought would bore the audience, but strangely the fact proves to be the opposite. I was glued to the screen for almost the entire run time. Another surprising aspect of M is that, despite having a very serious theme, it is peppered with light humour in many of the scenes.

Initially, I was curious to find out why this detective thriller has received so many positive reviews from film scholars. Now I know why and couldn't agree more. This is one of the early talkies that deserves very high recommendation.

Davy_Lee

Postby Chris_Xa » 30 Apr 2014 10:14

Davy_Lee wrote:M (First viewing, YouTube) - 9/10
I have been on the fence about buying the blu-ray because this is an early sound film which, I thought, should have serious flaws in its sound design. I was wrong!
I like silent films but not early talkies, which is the reason why I haven't added M into my collection. Granted, M doesn't have any musical score to accompany the scenes, which I have always thought would bore the audience, but strangely the fact proves to be the opposite. I was glued to the screen for almost the entire run time. Another surprising aspect of M is that, despite having a very serious theme, it is peppered with light humour in many of the scenes.
Initially, I was curious to find out why this detective thriller has received so many positive reviews from film scholars. Now I know why and couldn't agree more. This is one of the early talkies that deserves very high recommendation.
Have not seen it yet (assume you're referring to the Lorre 1931ish german film?), but have always heard good things about it. Re sound, the best films use sound (or lack of) to accentuate what is happening on screen. Many films for me have been ruined by music that signposts what is coming, whilst others use lack-of-music to great effect; Gravity is a good example of the latter.

That era was probably the best era of German cinema; to me it was the premier cinema industry of the world (1920s-early1930s, before the Nazis stomped in and ruined it). Other great films of then is METROPOLIS (pleased we finally have a complete version available), NOSFERATU (whilst not a great movie in itself, it is one of the best vampire films; for me the best vampire film ever is VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST), etc.
Chris_Xa

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion