What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Noor_Razzak » 12 May 2014 06:58

Akira - went to a theatrical screening, this is the third time I've seen it on the big screen and probably my 50th overall time watching this movie. It's such a terrific film, no other anime can match it, 26 years on and it's still as powerful as ever. 10/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 12 May 2014 11:07

The Untouchables [UK Blu] 8/10 it's a good movie, though too theatrical at times. But the transfer suffers from heavy DNR, so it's no good to me. The sound is Ok.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Chris_Xa » 12 May 2014 13:57

Davy_Lee wrote:
Sculder wrote:Yes. The US Blu is region free and has the extended cut (136:21). I got the 2-pack with Heartbreak Ridge.
I'm a bit confused. The 136-minute US dvd is listed as the theatrical cut http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... ?fid=22453. Why is the 136-minute US blu-ray called the extended cut too? Any difference between them?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083943/alternateversions explains the difference. Up to Rewind to synchronise/clarify the DVD & Blu comparisons.

Noor_Razzak wrote:Akira - went to a theatrical screening, this is the third time I've seen it on the big screen and probably my 50th overall time watching this movie. It's such a terrific film, no other anime can match it, 26 years on and it's still as powerful as ever. 10/10.
AKIRA does get lauded regularly, and when it came out it was definitely quite different to most other things at the time. However, I've watched it quite a few times (not as many as you) and have yet to understand what it's about / what the point of the film is / what is its central message. Everyone I've asked can't give me an answer either... perhaps you can educate me (because I unfortunately don't get it)?

Sculder wrote:[Firefox Japanese subtitles] There is no country selection menu. On start -up you`ll be shown WB logo and then taken to main menu.
It may even be a cover-listing error; it's not the first time Warner (and many other studios) advise a particular language on the cover, and it not being present on disk. Some ENTER THE DRAGON ( http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... id=10949#6 ) and WB DC animation releases are also guilty of that. As Vincent found the Japanese Blu, it's likely Warner used the same cover specs/info printing for both (lazy yes, but it's the most reasonable explanation I can think of).
Chris_Xa

Postby Samuel_Scott » 12 May 2014 15:43

Warner often include Japanese, but it won't show up unless your equipment is set to Japanese by default.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 12 May 2014 21:53

Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 13 May 2014 03:51

THE GHOUL (1975) [First viewing, YouTube] - 6.5/10

This is one of Peter Cushing's films which I haven't watched before and it hasn't been available on dvd. Not a horror, more of a thriller.

The ghoul, who shows up at the climax, is very shocking indeed :lol:

Best for a late night viewing and for fans of Peter Cushing and Freddie Francis. This can't hold a candle to their other collaboration, The Skull.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Noor_Razzak » 13 May 2014 07:19

Chris_Xa wrote:AKIRA does get lauded regularly, and when it came out it was definitely quite different to most other things at the time. However, I've watched it quite a few times (not as many as you) and have yet to understand what it's about / what the point of the film is / what is its central message. Everyone I've asked can't give me an answer either... perhaps you can educate me (because I unfortunately don't get it)?

Akira is certainly a complicated and complex film, and it took me several viewings to truly "get it", here is the best explanation that I could find:

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/commen ... zen_times/
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 13 May 2014 09:29

Stalingrad (2013) [Trough Panasonic`s Smart Vieras zoomby.ru app]
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 13 May 2014 09:35

Sculder wrote:Stalingrad (2013) [Trough Panasonic`s Smart Vieras zoomby.ru app]

Which model of Panasonic Viera SmartTV do you have?
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 13 May 2014 09:43

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:
Sculder wrote:Stalingrad (2013) [Trough Panasonic`s Smart Vieras zoomby.ru app]

Which model of Panasonic Viera SmartTV do you have?

Old 42V20E
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 13 May 2014 14:10

Noor_Razzak wrote:Akira is certainly a complicated and complex film, and it took me several viewings to truly "get it", here is the best explanation that I could find: http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/commen ... zen_times/

Hmm, a well-written analysis. Though I think the http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/commen ... es/c6lcxca comment sums up my feelings about it best: Technically very well done, but if one needs to watch something more than a few times to truly comprehend it (I've only watched it 2, maybe 3 times total), then it was not well written. Guess that's what happens when one tries to compress "6-phone-book-sized mangas" into a 2hour film... they should serialised it instead. Then again, the DEATH NOTE films were superior to the anime series (though I don't know how many volumes those were). Basically I feel the script needed work; GHOST IN THE SHELL and 2001 for example are just as complex, but managed to convey understanding in no more than a couple of viewings. So whilst AKIRA is important in popularising anime features to the west, it's far from one of the best-ever films IMO. However, I thank you for the link; it's probably the closest to some akin of understanding the film I've been given.

Wonder what others here think about AKIRA.
Chris_Xa

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 13 May 2014 18:00

Cleopatra (1963) - great costumes, but crappy movie, average video/audio quality. 3/10
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Noor_Razzak » 14 May 2014 00:08

Chris_Xa wrote:... but if one needs to watch something more than a few times to truly comprehend it (I've only watched it 2, maybe 3 times total), then it was not well written.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement, just because it's hard to comprehend doesn't mean it's not well written... if that were case you can throw out all of David Lynch's films (and I do believe he is a previous Oscar/Golden Globe/Emmy/Bafta nominee for writing/screenplay).
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Chris_Xa » 14 May 2014 02:13

Noor_Razzak wrote:
Chris_Xa wrote:... but if one needs to watch something more than a few times to truly comprehend it (I've only watched it 2, maybe 3 times total), then it was not well written.
I don't necessarily agree with this statement, just because it's hard to comprehend doesn't mean it's not well written... if that were case you can throw out all of David Lynch's films (and I do believe he is a previous Oscar/Golden Globe/Emmy/Bafta nominee for writing/screenplay).
:) Funny you should mention Mr Lynch. Unfortunately for me, I find most of his work to be quite very good (and sometimes even brilliant)... until he gets to appx 2/3 to 3/4 of the film. Then the last part ends up being a total mess: MULHOLLAND DRIVE, TWIN PEAKS... the guy does NOT know how to end his films/work. Had to read IMDB reviews in order to understand what INLAND EMPIRE was supposed to be about (and even then I gave it 2.5/10, up from 1.5/10 from before reading said reviews). And as for ERASERHEAD, found it was another overhyped film: yes again something very different to what had come before, but nothing in it enticed me back for a second viewing.
My logarithmic scoring system (out of 10): 10 excellent, 8 very good, 6 good, 4 average, 2 poor, 1 atrocious.
Chris_Xa

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 17 May 2014 09:37

Skyfall
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 17 May 2014 13:20

THE FOURTH WAR (First viewing, US dvd) - 7/10

John Frankenheimer's lesser known film which is intended to be a poltical thriller. In fact, it plays like a Cold War satire with an undertone of black comedy.

US colonel Jack Knowles (Roy Scheider) wages his own private war against the Soviets on the German-Czechoslovakian border (shot in Canada). The Soviets headed by their colonel Valachev (Juergen Prochnow) fight back. Sounds like Rambo. The climax on the frozen river has to be seen to be believed.

Ridiculous and implausible but overall it's quite fun.

One thing worth noting: the music by Bill Conti helps to elevate the action sequences.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 17 May 2014 19:58

Nymphomaniac: Vol. I
Nymphomaniac: Vol. II
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 18 May 2014 00:21

RIVER OF DEATH (First viewing, German dvd) - 6/10

Based on Alistair MacLean's novel, this adventure film fails to keep audience interested much less thrilled. Regardless of the time you watch it, you will doze off halfway through the film or keep wanting to check the remaining run time on the screen.

I remember watching this on video decades ago and thought it was forgettable. However, I still bought the dvd as Michael Dudikoff and two other Hollywood stars of bygone years star in it. Out of four Dudikoff's films I've watched, this is the least fun.

Dudikoff plays a freelance guide Hamilton, an expert in jungle expedition. While guiding a doctor and daughter into the deep dangerous jungles of the Amazon, the doctor is killed and the daughter captured by indigenous primitive tribe of the mythical Lost City.

Barely escaping death, Hamilton manages to return to the outpost of the Amazon basin and report the incident to the chief police. The chief police warns him not to return to the jungle but Hamilton adamantly tries to find other ways to return and rescue the kidnapped doctor's daughter.

As fate would have it, he looks for his associate, an ex-WW II pilot who then introduces him to a wealthy businessman and his friends who want Hamilton to lead their journey into the Lost City. Hamilton accepts their offer after striking a lucrative deal.

With an addition of several vested interests tagging along, Hamilton heads back into the perilous Amazon jungles to search for the Lost City and rescue his former client's daughter.

Watch the trailer, and you'll think that you are watching an exciting jungle adventure! An example of a trailer outperforming the film itself.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 18 May 2014 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Davy_Lee

Postby Chris_Xa » 18 May 2014 10:31

Sculder wrote:Nymphomaniac: Vol. I
Nymphomaniac: Vol. II
So what's the verdict - worth sitting through 4 hours?

PS thanks for your reviews Davy_Lee.

Sat through APPLESEED XIII series. The animation style may put you off, the series seems to drag a bit until you get to around episode 9 (won't spoil it by say why); not a great addition to the APPLESEED mythology, but seems to me to fit between the APPLESEED [2004] and APPLESEED EX MACHINA films. In this instance I prefered the English soundtrack (usually opt for the original Japanese soundtracks, but here the Japanese voicing of Deunan rather irritated me and made her sound like a spoilt teenage girl). The extras (commentaries for 2 episodes, and a 143min making of) were not bad, but not great either; worth a one-off sit-thru but not repeat-worthy. If you're interested however, avoid the shorter/summarised remix/re-edit called APPLESEED XIII TARTAROS & OURANOS "movies".

YAY - IT'S FINALLY HERE: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic ... ltiID=1683 A decent disk version of 55 DAYS IN PEKING. Wonder if we get any extras...

Hmm, http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic ... ltiID=1677 doesn't look bad either - but only 2.0? Wonder if it's uncut...
Chris_Xa

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 21 May 2014 01:43

Lethal Weapon 4 (UK Blu)
Still decent, but the last 10 minutes are really too much "syrup"... - 6/10

Top of the Lake (UK Blu)
Big disappointment, nothing new here, it's kind of sub-sub-Twin Peaks. Never been convinced by Elisabeth Moss, who would obvioulsy like to believe she's Jodie Foster in The Silence of the Lambs, but obviously is not (Peter Mullan and David Wenham were OK though!). Very slow, poor storytelling, quite predictable ending... I was probably expecting too much - 3/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion